Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,950   Online: 889

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    Both have waist level finders but the Bronica is brighter and easier to focus in bright light than my Hasselblad.
    That's interesting, which focus screen do you have for the Hasselblad? I found the Bronica stock screen quite tricky to focus on the WLF, I found it quite dim and the split circle was very tricky to see properly if you weren't standing exactly above it. I have the new type Acute Matte Hasselblad screen and find it so much brighter and easier to focus at all situations.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    That's interesting, which focus screen do you have for the Hasselblad? I found the Bronica stock screen quite tricky to focus on the WLF, I found it quite dim and the split circle was very tricky to see properly if you weren't standing exactly above it. I have the new type Acute Matte Hasselblad screen and find it so much brighter and easier to focus at all situations.
    No problems with my Bronica SQ-B+WLF with that screen which I also find quite bright with a 45 degree prism, as well as the WLF. Nothing tricky at all with the split image circle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Hasselblad has a split image screen, but it is an early 500 c/m. I've heard that some of the newer ones are brighter. My Bronica has a grid screen, with no split image. I just find it easier to focus.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Folks, what can I say! Thanks so much for your comments and advice. This has really helped me make my mind up, i shall be going down the Bronica route. I'm not fussed about presige and although as i said this in not going to be my main workhorse it is going the get well used.

Steve, i like your comment about a Twin Lens, i think i mught put that down on a sub list.

Thanks again folks

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, i like your comment about a Twin Lens, i think i mught put that down on a sub list.

And the GAS begins.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harvey View Post
    Folks, what can I say! Thanks so much for your comments and advice. This has really helped me make my mind up, i shall be going down the Bronica route. I'm not fussed about presige and although as i said this in not going to be my main workhorse it is going the get well used.

Thanks again folks

Chris
    glad to hear that you've made the right choice!

Honestly, I would go against a tlr. I find them a little awkward to use, and especially awkward to compose with. If you do get a tlr though, a rolleiflex or a mamiya c220/330 would be the stuff. The c220 is a big camera though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I came to replace my MF gear I did a pricing comparison between Hasselblad and Bronica. I could get a 500cm 80,50,150mm lenses and three backs for around £2300. I eventually got a Bronica SQB with 50,65,80,120,150 and 250mm lenses, 4 backs, a plain prism and polaroid back for £1400. The original focussing screen was pretty ropey but I picked up a pristine beattie screen for £50. I used a Hasselblad semi professionally in the late 70s and I was very impressed with the the lenses' performance. However, my Bronica lenses give me all the performance I need. I enlarge up to 15 inches square. I managed to get almost a lens, for lens replacement for my Excata 66 system that had both Zeiss and Schneider lenses. I sold that system for nearly £900.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I guess their both kind of long in the tooth, so a clean example in either without having to get a cla would be my route. Overall comparisons have been done to death and it's really a match except a lens or two may be better between them, but if your a enthusiast, it doesn't matter. The important part is that you will want to pick it up and carry it.
    W.A. Crider

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    the only reason why I now wish I'd opted for Hassy instead of Bronnie few years back is availability, Hass market is pretty much saturated and there are more available parts/accessories wherever/whenever you look up for one. That also includes lenses, prisms and especially backs/inserts (which are the only quirky thing with SQs). the posthumous recognition that Bronnie got in few recent years also bumped up the prices on the used market which for an extra 20 to 30% doesn't make any difference for a starter kit. keep that in mind if you plan to build up your future 6x6 system in time, some lenses and important accessories might not be available then because a lot of people are getting into SQ-A system these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Folks thanks for all your comments. I ended up buying a Bronika SQAi, 50mm PS and 80mm PS all in fantastic condition - really pleased.

Regards

Chris

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin