Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,534   Online: 1001

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

SQ-Ai Batteries - Silver or Alkaline

OK, I know I asked this elsewhere (BUG), but I thought I would ask here as well.

In the manual for my SQ-Ai, it suggests using LR44's Alkaline-Magnesium batteries. I have also seen mentioned in many other places, the use of MS-76 Silver Oxide batteries suggested.

Since their is a huge difference in price (I.E. $4.50 for 10 LR44 Vs $21.50 for 5 MS-76), is it worth the extra money to go silver? Will I get 10 times the performance out of the Silvers?

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The manual uses the word "must" and later explains the properties of Alkaline batteries, so I would stick with that.

In a recent thread I spoke out against using silver batteries. To clarify, I was talking about my specific camera specimen not making a generalization.

I use silver batteries where the camera works well with them. For example four silver batteries seem to last forever in my Pentax ESII.

But since your SQ-Ai was designed for alkaline-manganese batteries, you should use those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting that the manual says it "must" be alkaline manganese. Just to add to the confusion slightly:

www.tamron-usa.com/bronica/batteries.asp

where it specifies silver oxide as the battery of choice, and alkaline as "good". I'd go by the manual's specification and be done with it.
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-04-2011 at 01:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: For clarity, changed "recommendation" to "specification"
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey lxdude, did you see the asterisk? Sounds like they are saying silver oxide could put you in a "situation" for a whole roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, just to confuse things a little more. Seems like it would have been simpler for them to specify alkaline as best for the SQ-Ai, like the manual.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well the MR44 mercury battery was still around when the manual was printed, thus the insistence on using alkaline batteries.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silver oxide batteries give flatter discharge curve than alkaline. Apparently not an issue with your SQ-AI. I say take the $21.50 for 5 silver oxide batteries and buy 10 alkaline batteries plus film.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks. By the sound of it, I'd be best saving my money and going for the alkalines and this is what I will do.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suspect either would be fine. you need voltage regulation circuity to deal with either, so this should deal with any variation.
    Silver oxide has a 1.55v nominal voltage, Alkaline 1.5v nominal, but may be about 1.55 fresh.

Silver oxide batteries do tend to last longer than Alkaline. Their voltage drop is slower as well, but it isn't flat like mercury.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Silver oxide batteries give flatter discharge curve than alkaline. Apparently not an issue with your SQ-AI.
    Yes, the later SQ-AI (vs. earlier SQ) and the GS-1 have voltage regulating circuitry, so alkaline is fine for them. I'd probably avoid lithium, though. I'm just not sure how they'd do in those cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin