Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,958   Online: 874

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Open letter of thanks to dpurdy for the krimar ref

Just got my Rolleicord back from Krimarphoto, the damn thing is better than new. I wish they would have left some grime on it, as now I am reluctant to toss it in the backpack. Thanks again for steering me to those guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He does a great job, I've had two Rolleis CLA'd there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier
    He does a great job, I've had two Rolleis CLA'd there.
    How is the price? I have a really, really sad one I rescued. (yeah, and I feed strays too.)
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    How is the price? I have a really, really sad one I rescued. (yeah, and I feed strays too.)
    Dont feel bad Mike
    I do the same thing.
    I get a junker/beater and cant bear to see it not in top mechanical shape and taking pictures.

I'm sure that I'm not always acting rationally either. (should the cla's be reserved for cleaner examples?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This one is the only Rollei I own. I never thought the prices were in line with my hobby use. But I thought this one would cry if I didn't give the guy five bucks for it.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    in a related note...

i had the good fortune of initially reading about krimar photo on this forum for rollei TLR repairs. i contacted him about my ailing rolleiflex 6002 - an SLR - and he said he would take a look at it. he said he primarily worked on rollei TLR's and that parts might be a problem for my camera...

doing business with mr. maralian at krimarphoto is like basking in the warm glow of a sunset on a cool evening. that is, it is comforting and reassuring and satisfying.

he does excellent work at a very reasonable price. the repair work is done correctly the first time.

the repair(s) are done promptly and the camera is very, very, carefully packaged before being shipped back. i thought i had carefully packed my camera when i sent it to him...so i thought. it was returned wrapped in bubble wrap surrounded by packing peanuts in a small box with foam in the bottom of the box...which was packed inside a larger box surrounded by packing peanuts.

the care exhibited in his skilled repairs carries over to his regard for his customer's camera.

then, as a peitite bon mot he included a new (old stock, in the factory wrapper) film insert. i consider it a gracious nod of appreciation for my business. oops, almost forgot - he also made a minor repair on the film insert that was shipped with the camera at no charge.

i have decades and decades (and decades) of experience having various photographic equipment repaired. i consider krimarphoto to be the standard other photographic technicians should aspire to. (precision camera in austin , texas - which works on practically evertything photographic - is another example of the same type business...their specialty is leica)

just bought a rolleicord v with sticky slow shutter speeds and plan on sending it to him after i try a test roll or two. oops, almost forgot , my camera came back working and looking better than when i sent it out.

breathe, relax and enjoy.
    sg, aka smiling gecko, aka kenneth
    www.neverforgetbeslan.org
    Last edited by smiling gecko; 06-13-2011 at 09:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Krikor has been good to me too and even called me a couple of times on his dime to talk of repairs. I am glad you had a good experience and I am getting ready to send my 2.8F in to get the damn auto feeler adjusted. I wish they had just left it so you have to line up an arrow with a dot. The auto feeler is not worth the trouble.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got off the phone with Krikor, regarding three Rollei 3.5 Automats I had sent him for CLA. He rejected all three for various reasons, in part because I had put in new mirrors (rejected because they were not Rolleiflex mirrors). He went a bit beyond simple rejection and asked me how much I had paid for the cameras. Not wishing to become the object of humiliation and ridicule I declined to answer. I have a large collection of Rolleis and IMO these were in average condition for 60 year old cameras (sticky shutters, needing new mirrors, needing focus check, etc). That's why I sent them in for CLA!

I repair things for a living myself, and occasionally advise against putting money into items that clearly have negative value (cost more to fix than they are worth). However, this blanket rejection of $150 CLA on pretty normal ca1950 Rolleis that these days sell for several hundred $$ surprised me. He just didn't want the work. Previously Krikor had CLA'd three slightly newer Automats for me and did a good job. But I think next time I will try a different technician.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jscott - I'm not sure if you took Krimar's reject this way, but he may have been telling you that the cameras were not, in his opinion, worth the expense of CLA. When I sent my first 3.5T to him for various adjustments, I spoke to him on the phone before sending it. He indicated that depending on the mechanisms (shutter, I think) they might not be worth it, and he wouldn't want to work on something he couldn't stand behind. He also mentioned, on another camera I had (that didn't seem to maintain parallel between the ground glass and the film plane) that if the mirror is taken out and replaced, "then you have lost everything. . .".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin