Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,344   Online: 888

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P67 or Hassie

Shooter
    35mm

P67 or Hassie

I still shoot Nikons but have thought about going to MF other than when I need to be mobile. I like to shoot slides.

I had a wee look. Are the Pentax 67ii still somewhat pricey used? Can someone tell me how to avoid mirror slap on this camera? I do a lot of low light photography. The newer 67ii have a light meter does it? Can the older ones still be used ok or would you advise against it?

Failing that how much is a Hasselblad going for these days? I gather Hassie lenses would cost more right? I just need a body without a light meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seems the Pentax 67ii has held it's value a bit, but not as much as a similar vintage Hasselblad I think. Also, 'blad lenses are quite a bit more if you want the modern stuff.

Hasselblads will range from a couple hundred pounds to over £1000 for a body without a meter, it really just depends on your needs. I wanted one with mirror lockup, so I got a 503cx, plus a couple of the CF lenses, with the leaf shutter. With mirror lockup, it's quiet with no mirror slap shaking it.

I think a 'blad will always cost you more, but they are very nice cameras.

The 503cx is not bad value compared to the 503cw, which is practically the same camera, but newer. You can go a lot cheaper if you want to though, but the older you go, the more you may worry about light leaks etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you intend to project your slides (which is the best way to view them ) slide projectors that take 6x6 and 6X4.5 slides although expensive are not anything like as costly as 6X7 ones that cost thousands http://www.adpost.com/ca/appliances/34/
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an RZ (also 6x7) and have nearly given up on buying a decent 6x7 projector, though I'm looking at building one. 6x6 projectors are easy to find.

If you get a Pentax, absolutely make sure it has MLU. They still have a massive focal-plane shutter, so you cannot skimp at all on the tripod because the shutter WILL cause vibration. In comparison, a camera with a leaf shutter can be used on a crap tripod as long as you're willing to wait 10s between mirror-up and exposure for the last little vibrations to damp out. And with leaf shutters, you can shoot with flash at any speed, which I dearly love.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Unless you want flash, get an older 500c/m.

Don't worry about an inbuilt meter - I don't think any of them will be as a good as a handheld meter for low light situations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For slides, Hasselblad.

For everything else, Hasselblad.

Like the Packard automobile advertisements said, "Ask the man that owns one."

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say Hasselblad. Smaller, lighter, leaf shutters all the time, exchangeable magazines, and, gasp, cheaper a lot of the time. (Look at the price of the P67II in the classified section right now!)

You mentioned mobility and low light. I think a Mamiya 645 with an 80mm f/1.9 is the way to go. Even cheaper still! But no leaf shutters without special lenses, just like the P67 and P645.

Many of the shakiness issues with Pentaxes are caused by the shutter, not the mirror. But still, mirror lockup cannot hurt, so make sure it has that. (Not all of them do.)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From a guy who has owned both, here's my 2 cents.

You don't need the Pentax 67ii, although it's great, you can get by fine with the Pentax 6x7 MLU model for a fraction of the cost. You can get one with a light meter prism on it as well. The lenses are cheaper, but superb. I've made 16x20 and 20x24 prints with my Hasselblad and my Pentax and the quality is damn near the same. As for the mirror slap -it's very over exaggerated. And with the MLU model, if you're shooting 1/60 and slower, you can always lock up the mirror just before you take the shot to eliminate or minimize the risk of vibrations ruining your photos.

That being said, I stuck with my Hasselblad because I like the square format, interchangable backs, the WLF perspective and ability to shoot handheld (better) in low-light situations (I have handheld 3 second exposures with this camera that are sharp as a tack).

You'll be plenty happy with either one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    3 second exposure and tack sharp! Wow, I'd be interested if you could share some details. I am about to use my Hasselblads V series and any tips on hand holding them will be very much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As much as I will argue about the urban myth about the so called Hasselblad mirror slap, for a 3 second exposure I would use a tripod or set the camera down on a table. Heck I would do that for 1/10 second or even 1/25 second! I am just not that steady without two or three Gin Martinis under my belt.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin