Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,880   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Picked up a hasselblad kit,yay. Have some questions.

Here is the whole lot i picked up today,traded my olympus ep2 kit for it and i think i got an excellent deal.
    500c/m,80mm lens,2 a12 backs,1 a24 back,a polaroid back,huge shade/belows,a close up hasselblad lens,an accumatte screen and 2 prism screens,both are split prisms but at different angles, a grip and some clips for a shoulder strap plus a few other caps.

here is a mask he said would help framing for 8x10 enlargements?

Nice little bubble level.

And this strange contraption.

So any advice for a newbie to hasselblad,a site with manuals?
    What exactly do you think the clear mask is for and how do i use it?
    What is the contraption in the last pick,it mounts on the outer bayonet and seems threaded on the inside,maybe for screw in filters.Has a 60 with a circle and line through the circle on it and is made by hasselblad.

And last question is did i get a good trade,i think so even if priced at keh bargain i think the value is more than my ep2 which will depreciate rapidly and i did not like due to it's digital nature.

I do like this as it is so much lighter than my rz67 kit and i think i will keep the kit like this and not add other lenses to keep the weight down.Except maybe a 50mm as i want a 65mm for my rz but i feel the 50 on the hassie will serve me better than the 65 on the rz.Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Only downside was the waist level finder was no were to be found,hopefully he finds it soon but a minimal cost used at keh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the ring is an adapter as you suspected, Bay 60 to ? thread. Likely to be 58 or 62mm
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Manuals are available on-line here; http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/

The mask looks like a viewfinder mask for the 645 backs, or perhaps a home brew device to show you an approximate outline for 8x10 proportions. It doesn't quite look like the actual Hasselblad mask though. Mosly I compose in the square, but if I know I'm shooting for rectangular prints I just compose a bit loosely if I'm not using my gridded screen.

A bit hard to tell on the last pic, but looks to be an adaptor for threaded filters. Probably for the series 63 filters used by the 50 and 60mm lenses.
    The circled rectangular items are covers for the rear of the body when no magazine is attached.
    Useful if you have more bodies than backs, otherwise not so much.

I don't know what the value is of your Olympus kit, the Hasselblad kit is worth 550 USD +/- in cash, though the lack of a finder is a big minus.

Looks like a nice kit, hope you have fun with it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well i wanted 800 trade value so maybe i lost a little,I figured the kit to be worth at least 1000,oh well i am still happy with it.Yeah i hope he finds the finder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think you lost at all. That kit is worth a lot more than $550, according to KEH prices, especially with all the backs and accessories which can really add up quickly. The backs themselves run $100 - $150 each at KEH. You did well - have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone would have a hard time finding this outfit as shown for $550. olwick already gave a ballpark price for backs alone. Body (without seeing it closely) at least $400, probably more. 80mm, again without hand-holding it and knowing if it is a C or CF (quick focusing handle would say C), at least the same as the body. If the accute-matte screen is a D (two small D shaped notches in the surrounding frame) and in good shape, you could sell that alone for around $200-250. You got a good deal!

A waist level finder won't set you back much. If you prefer a prism on a budget, consider even a Kiev with built-in TTL meter (personally I find it becomes too heavy/bulky). You already got a pointer to the manuals. Read them closely. Be prepared for a few c*ck-ups. Always make sure camera is wound-up as ready for shooting before attepmpting to detach/attach lens or backs. If inadvertently or by operator error it does jam, don't force anything! Leave it and look for answers or service. What else?

Lenses...get used to the 80mm which is often overlooked as it was a "standard" kit lens but which is in fact an outstanding performer. And the camera and rest of equipment and its handling first. Especially framing and focusing, which takes some getting used to. OK, so what should be the next lens to get? It depends on your style of shooting, goes without saying almost, but here again, the 50mm is a great choice. Then there is the 150mm, or the 180, which are simply legendary as short tele's (portraits as well as other uses). Maybe an extension tube for close-ups to use with the 80mm already...for some serious fun. Oh, and I would get somekind of flash compatible with the kit. Indispensable for close-ups and fill-in work.

Welcome to the club!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think you got an excellent deal. Regarding a manual I would suggest purchasing a copy of "The Hasselblad Manual" by Ernst Wildi. It covers the basic operating instructions, but contains a wealth of other information as well. I refer to my copy often. Regarding a finder, I have never been comfortable with the WLF. It is more difficult for me to compose with, it can be dimmed in bright light, and I am always flipping the focus magnifier up and down. I have much better luck with a 45 degree finder, but that is just me. They are pretty reasonable at KEH.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What about the Kiev finders and prisms. They are inexpensive. Also for non metering what is the best prism (hasselblad) and why. I am sure it is subjective. I will mainly use this for general purpose shooting. Photo walks and some landsccape and nature stuff. I have a nice handheld meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Metering or non-metering, I like the 45 degree prisms. I've never used the 90 to compare, but the camera's ergonomics seem to play well with the 45's. I like the relative compactnes of the PMx style prisms, vs the older NC-2 style. But the NC-2's can be found for about the same price as a WLF.

The metering prism works well, and is convienient, but can be a little dear to buy, especially if you already have a hand held you like to use. I do like being able to just grab the camera and go however, without worrying whether my meter is in the wrong bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin