Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,859   Online: 911

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss Box Tengor Users?

Just recently acquired one of the latest versions of a Zeiss Box Tengor. Very cool thing - I love it that it takes 6x9! It is in pretty decent condition, and the shutter appears to be working fine.

Has anyone here used one of these recently? It looks like the shutter options are 1/2 second and bulb, and we have to scale focus. Not expecting much from it, but it seems a little fun to use.

Any tips on usage? I am trying it out for the first time this weekend and will try to post results.

Thanks & regards.
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 06-16-2011 at 09:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Free Manual for the Box Tengor

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_i...box-tengor.htm

Good luck
    Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The shutter is about 1/25. 1/2 a second would be much too slow for a handheld camera.

Is this the postwar version with the powder chrome trim? If so, this is a very nice and usable box camera.

I use mine with a 400 speed film and usually close it down to f/16. There are three distance settings.

Make sure that you hold the camera steady when you release the shutter. Most have the side mounted shutter release, although there was one model with a top-mounted release, which I prefer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have box tengor baby, it uses 127 film. Nice little box, love it. Shutter speed is about 1/25s, I use Efke R100 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The shutter is about 1/25. 1/2 a second would be much too slow for a handheld camera.

Is this the postwar version with the powder chrome trim? If so, this is a very nice and usable box camera.

I use mine with a 400 speed film and usually close it down to f/16. There are three distance settings.

Make sure that you hold the camera steady when you release the shutter. Most have the side mounted shutter release, although there was one model with a top-mounted release, which I prefer.
    Thank you! Yes - it is the post war powder chrome trim version. I opened it up last night to clean the viewfinders and the lens, and they are just sparkling. Removing those tiny screws off a 70 year old camera was not fun at all. But the camera looks almost new now, and everything appears to be working perfectly!

It is loaded with some Tri-X, and I am hoping get in some shooting down near the Brooklyn Bridge this afternoon. With Tri-X, I'll stop all the way down as the shutter is indeed 1/30 as listed in the manual. probably more like 1/25 by now, as you stated.

This thing has a standard threaded cable release, which is a pleasant surprise. I don't have a tripod with me today, so will hold everything as steady as possible.

Thanks again for the advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvcameras View Post
    Free Manual for the Box Tengor

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/zeiss_i...box-tengor.htm

Good luck
    Dan
    Wow - this is great. Thanks so much for the link!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is a postwar camera. I think it's from the 1950s, as I recall. It's very well made. I've had a number of these -- sold several, traded one, gave one as a birthday gift to a friend, too.

I think the lens on the postwar camera is sharper than the lenses on the prewar versions. Of course, you're not going to get Tessar sharpness, but for a box camera, it's a nice piece to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot a roll of Rollei 25 with mine recently. Basically I just waited until the light was suitable for 1/30s and f/16. All shots I took handheld were more or less blurry. The shutter button in mine is not too easy to operate. On a tripod the Box Tengor cranks out lovely photos.

Here is one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mblomqv...n/photostream/

I need to take another roll with it some day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got one of the post war versions, and it's certainly quite nice for a nice box camera. I've tended to use either ISO 25 or 100 films.

I cradle mine somewhat like you would a TLR, braced agains my body, and gentle squeeze down the shutter release with my thumb.

Here's a shot using Delta 100.

It's Dead Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin