Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,240   Posts: 1,680,049   Online: 869

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Closer decision to my first MF rig.

I have been shooting film and digital Nikons - particularly with slide film. Let's ignore the projection part ;-) Wait to it happens.

So I have seen the market prices of a Hasselblad 500C/M and they do cost at least 2x as much as other vendors, althou a newer Pentax 67ii outfit with a normal lens fetches $1,800US

So pricewise Hasselblad might not be possible. For the money of one Hasselblad outfit, I could get a different MF outfit as well as a LF outfit.

So ...

For those who have used the older Pentax 67 (with MLU), how does the size and weight compare to a Hasselblad 500C/M or a Bronica SQ? My research shows the Bronica weighs 1.5kg with the Haselblad at 1.55kg. Physically they seem very similar too.

What about the Pentax 67? On paper it appears it weighs 1.76kg (the outfit). Is the Pentax physically about the same size as a Hasselblad/Bronica SQ? PS. I know that the Pentax can be downgraded to a WLF which sheds 200-300g of weight. Or is the Pentax about the same size as the Blad/Bronica not including the film back/lens?

Main use is outdoor landscape photography and travel photography so I would be walking a bit and using public transportation.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rayonline_nz; 06-19-2011 at 10:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you consider used? Maybe from places like KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want 6x6 and not to pay for a 'blad, SQ seems like a good idea. I've held one for a minute and poked at it (thanks hoffy) but not used it. Looks modern and decently made.

I use an RZ67 myself. It's about 3x the size of the SQ if not larger, but you get notably bigger negs from it, particularly if you want rectangular (55x55 vs 55x69). I personally don't find it a problem to carry an RZ and 3 lenses in a backpack for 10 hours of walking a day but nearly any other system would be smaller. Some 4x5 systems are smaller than an RZ, though you don't get the convenience & speed of a rollfilm SLR.

If you get a P67, don't get one without MLU. A P67 is notably large compared to a 6x6 system and a different shape. I'd prefer a leaf-shutter camera myself, too, though some of the Takumars are very very nice.

Have a look at the Mamiya 6 and 7 too. Rangefinders (problematic for some purposes) but very compact for 6x7 and has most-excellent wideangle optics - makes them quite appropriate for outdoor/travel.

I would never buy any of this new, there's just so much stuff available in excellent condition for 10% of the new price that there's no point buying new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah don't buy new. I got a Mamiya 645 AFD for $900 vs the $3500 they were new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bronica SQ is a Hasselblad clone. They are nearly the same in size, and in everything else but price.

The Pentax 67, OTOH, is a beast. It also is not as versatile as the SQ and Hasselblad. No exchangeable magazines and no leaf shutter unless you get certain lenses.

Lenses will be great in all three systems.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Could someone comment further on the Pentax? Is the Blad outfit with a normal lens the same size to a Pentax with a normal lens? Meaning - width, height and depth. Or ... is it more that the depth is more skinnier on the Pentax other than the lens sticking out?

I have looked at Keh.com. Hasselblad cost $1100US for a outfit with a normal lens. A older P67, Bronica 6x6 or 6x7 or the Mamiya all cost $400-500US for the equivlanet outfit. Hasselblad lenses are more like $400US or a few at $1,000US, with keh's bargain rating. Others were like $200US each with 1 or 2 at $400US (Pentax).

Although; a Pentax 67ii outfit cost $1,800US and the Mamiya 6/7 $1,500US.

I won't need magazines as I only shoot Velvia 50. Could be useful for family portraiture but I rarely shoot that so I don't mind the low flash sync. I also want to avoid 645 and after further thinking I think the square format might not suit me, as I am more into the wide landscape vistas. So maybe a P67 or a GS-1. I toyed with a Fuji 6x7/6x9 RF but I think maybe not Because I am into my scapes only, I have avoided the more advanced cameras like 645AF or AFD et al ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi - I am unable to compare it to the Pentax, but FYI my blad with a modern 80 lens weighs 1.57kg (with lenscap on and film loaded!). Dimensions are 200mm long, 114 wide, 110 high, again including lens cap, winding crank, etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Definitely consider Mamiya 7, they're not even crazy expensive brand new from places like DigitalRev.

I used to have one, but sold it for a Hasselblad, sometimes I wonder if that was the right choice, as it was a superb camera capable of amazing results. I didn't like the modern build, as I like chrome/leather etc. but if you're not as shallow as me, you'll like the Mamiya.

But also get an idea of Hasselblad prices, as if you're OK with the weight, and that they're really tripod cameras (In my opinion), they are killer cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i want service manual for nikon lens

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    The Pentax will be bigger and heavier than the Hasselblad. But you also get a bigger negative. I very much prefer the 6x7 format for landscape photography. The aspect ratio of 6x7 (4:5.09) is very similar to 4x5 (4:5) and 8x10 (4:5:05). Based on my field experience, the P67 is much more popular among landscape photographers than the Hasselbald (I know there are famous exceptions including Christopher Burkett). Also bear in mind that the P67 handles very well with its wooden grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin