Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,813   Online: 992

Shooter
    Medium Format

Got a Russkie Camera, needs CLA/Repair

I've got an old Moskva 4 Russian folder camera. It's old and it looks like it hasn't been used for 30 years. This is probably literally true - it had a roll of film in it that hadn't been manufactured since the 1980's!

Anyway, I'd like to get it running if possible. The shutter doesn't seem to work, the bellows is worn and it's just generally creaky. Does anyone know who could help me with this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See if the bellows is light tight before you spend any more money on it.

Those aren't all that rare, so replacing the whole camera is easier and cheaper than fooling with a new bellows.

If it has particular sentimental value that changes the equation, but if you just want a working folder then you might be cheaper to start with a better copy.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure if Yuri does repairs but it's worth checking.
    http://fedka.com/Frames/Main_Frame.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdarklight View Post
    This is probably literally true - it had a roll of film in it that hadn't been manufactured since the 1980's!
    Did you develop the roll?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've repaired lots of those cameras. Check the bellows first, and if they pass, you can remove the front element by unscrewing 3 tiny screws on the focus ring and unscrewing the glass. From there, you can use lighter fluid to ease up the stuck shutter blades and if it continues to stay stuck, it could be a spring issue (which pretty much kills it). Once thing seem smooth again, open the back and use some fogged tape to act as a focusing screen and set you rangefinder on multiple object and adjust the front element accordingly and put the focusing ring back on. Also, don't forget to build a baseplate for the bottom since the tripod mount bulges and causes incredibly unstable support.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by swchris View Post
    Did you develop the roll?
    Yes, I posted a thread about it here in the B&W film section. The whole roll basically had been exposed at some point, nothing there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin