Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,727   Online: 734

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The end result's the same. If there's a possibility you may have a camera with an internal meter at some point, it won't hurt to use the circular.

Promaster is a buying group/importer. Dealers have to become part of the group to take advantage of the lower prices they offer. Almost everything they sell carries their name. Some items are good, some OK and some leave a bit to be desired.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If there was a lot of haze (which may not be obvious to the naked eye at all) or you were facing mostly towards or away from the sun, no polariser will have much effect because that light is mostly unpolarised. They have their strongest effect about 90 degrees from the sun.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I hate to be pedantic, but they don't have a layer that depolarizes the light. They have a layer (a quarter wave plate) that circularly polarizes the linearly polarized light. Circularly polarized light is still polarized. And that's why they call it a circular polarizer filter.
    To everything but another quarter-wave plate, circularly polarised light is indistinguishable from unpolarised light. That's why a circular polariser will allow beam splitters to work as intended.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the peron posting the origininal query ,mentioned he was using a Mamiya RB67, so there is no internal metering etc in the camera. He should be able to use a linear polarizer.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks for the replies.

It sort of looks like the problem is the Pro Master filter, vs. the circular or linear type. I should have mentioned that I only have the WLF and use a handheld meter. To those that aren't familiar with the RB, it is a manual focus so the type of filter doesn't matter. The 90 degree to the light source (sun) is understood. The old rule of thumb is to make your hand like a gun and point your thumb at the sun and where your finger points is the best angle. The filter is okay but I would like for it to go just a hair darker. I took some shots of a house and it did bring out the clouds but just a little more would have made it better. Ofcourse a home darkroom or custom printing would help some too. Oh well, the thing was not cheap, I think it was around $70. Thanks again. Ric.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin