Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,187   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

500CM/501C/503CX vs 500ELX for second body...

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a second body for my 501CM. I've got a couple of "events" to shoot with some friends for fun and would like to have one body with the 80/2.8 on as my primary camera and another with the 50/4, to save me changing lenses when shooting (and have a backup as well).

So I was thinking perhaps I can get a 500ELX (or even better a 553 although that's probably a bit tricky to find for under £400), put the 80mm and the PM90 prism and shoot away. For the wide shots I'll have the 50mm on the 501CM and use the WLF. It sounds like a plan but then I'm not too sure about whether the winder is of any use for such things. Is it very noisy, for example? I've seen that it works at a rather leisurely pace to return the mirror and wind-on but at least it means I don't have to wind manually, as in the 500CM.

On the other hand, am I just complicating things? A 500CM/501C/503CX is just as good and as cheap, doesn't complicate things with electronics/batteries and weighs less, as I will be carrying two of these things on me at a time (plus extra backs and film and the prism on the camera with the 80mm...).

Any opinions?

PS
    Not too worried about vignetting mirrors and such, I have a 501CM which works fine with long lenses and that second body is intended for use with a 50mm or 80mm. Also, I'm not too bothered about body age, I can get it serviced, I just want to make sure it has one of the new screens.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Noisy would be an understatement! Weddings or meetings of some sort it may get you thrown out.
    A second manual body would be the right path grasshopper.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ELX is not good for cold weather. Batteries died down too fast. That's why ELM is cheaper than CM in second hand market at North America.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do not go to an event using equipment that you are not one with.

Get a second body and you will be much happier before, during and after the events.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm...that 500CM looks closer and closer then...
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Hmmm...that 500CM looks closer and closer then...
    Yep, and they can be found for decent prices these days.

80's have gone up a bit recently though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got the 80 and 50, the backs, etc I'm just missing the 2nd body. I'm looking at some ELM and CM auctions on eBay. If I can find an ELM for £100 I might just buy it anyway as a 3rd body to have for playing around in the house. Or I could use it as a bookend it should match a Brownie that already serves that duty in my living room!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a EX condition 500ELX from KEH for a decent price and these cool 9 volt adapters from this guy on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-B...item337f3d72c6

The only time I am *ever* going to use this is strictly for aerial work in that winding the film manually is a PITA. I do expect the temps to be as cold as 0F at times as most of these aerials are in Winter. The camera does come with the battery and charger but I expect fresh 9 volt batteries each flight to be a safer bet.

Is there anything else I should look out for?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @PKM-25
    I think you can power the camera with an outboard battery. I have to find my book with the wiring diagram of the jack.
    If so, when it is COLD, you can keep the battery under your jacket with a power cord to the camera. Then it will only be the question of the lube in the low temp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    @PKM-25
    I think you can power the camera with an outboard battery. I have to find my book with the wiring diagram of the jack.
    If so, when it is COLD, you can keep the battery under your jacket with a power cord to the camera. Then it will only be the question of the lube in the low temp.
    Absolutely, put the 9 volt in your pocet and run a cable up to the camera body.
    Also, post some of the aerials when you are finished this initial project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin