Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,905   Online: 1045

Shooter
    35mm

Film Problem - Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta IV

Hi all,

I've been using an old Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta IV for a while, and I'm having some trouble with the film. As I understand it, the original film was thicker than modern film, which causes the frames to overlap; this problem grows worse with every shot.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to avoid this. I really like the camera, especially the colours, and would like to use it more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know there are fixes, I just can't remember exactly. If no-one here know exactly, there's the Zeiss Ikon Group on yahoo. I seem to remember that some would add something small to the take up spool. If I remember where I read it I'll pipe back up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is there not a way of defeating the filmcounter-shutter interlock and just using the film window?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastair_I View Post
    Is there not a way of defeating the filmcounter-shutter interlock and just using the film window?
    I second that suggestion, just use the film window and you will be fine, that works for me pretty well with my Ikonta.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is the same problem on my Old Standard Rolleiflex; to fix it, I add two turns of tape on each edge of the take up spool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old-Std.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy38 View Post
    There is the same problem on my Old Standard Rolleiflex; to fix it, I add two turns of tape on each edge of the take up spool.
    I knew it. Thanks Andy. Going to do this on my Super Ikonta I dug out to start using.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Super Ikonta IV also, but don't have a problem with overlapping frames. I wonder if it needs servicing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Near the bottom of this page on the Super Ikonta III and IV, Jurgen says, "Before loading your film, cut 2” of film paper backing from an old film and tape it to your new film’s leader. You’ll have to experiment, you may need 2 1/2” or 3” … depends on your camera of leader."

http://www.certo6.com/cameras/zeiss-super-ikonta

He's also got a couple of pictures off to the side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "they all do that, sir"

As previously mentioned, you need to add a little thickness to the take-up spool - a couple of turns of backing paper or similar is often enough. You will find differences between films too. I often just wind the arrows on past the start mark, to just by the take-up spool chamber. That seems to be enough to stop overlapping frames, though some are close.

The "red window", at least on the III, is not a red window at all, just a little spy hole - big enough to see you've got film loaded, not big enough to see the numbers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, I'll experiment and see if I can sort it out!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin