Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,866   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Carl Zeiss Lenses

Could someone please explain to me the difference btw a
    Carl Zeiss Planar lens and a Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens is?
    Are any of these autofocus?
    Cheers
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Zeiss website can explain the difference between the Planar and Sonnar lenses better than I can. www.zeiss.com

As far as autofocus, it depends on what camera you have. If you have a Contax 645, or N 35mm or G series camera then yes. If you have a Hasselblad or Contax Aria or RTS then no. Rollei, I'm not sure about, most of the Zeiss lenses for Rollei are MF, but there might be a couple of Autofocus models available.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks fingel. I have just ordered a Hasselblad 501cm with the standard kit lens Carl Zeiss Planar CFE 2.8 80mm lens. Forgot to ask about autofocus lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Planars are generally more highly corrected for near distance, normal focal length, Sonnars are telephoto and Biogons are wide angle formulas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Shaggy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Planars are generally more highly corrected for near distance, normal focal length, Sonnars are telephoto and Biogons are wide angle formulas
    On MF cameras like the 'Blad and Rollei, Sonnars are long focal length lenses.

Historically, Zeiss (both West & East German) and Rollei Sonnars have covered the range from normal (50mm, Zeiss Contax) and wide normal (40mm, 38mm small Zeiss and Rollei cameras) through long focal length lenses.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Could someone please explain to me the difference btw a
    Carl Zeiss Planar lens and a Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens is?
    Are any of these autofocus?
    Cheers
    Nicole
    Ok ... grinding fine:

The Planar is a six -element design, first introduced by Rudolph in 1895. The "standard" 80mm Zeiss lens on the Hasselblad 50X series ... and if memory serves, which it sometimes doesn't, the autoexposure-capable 2XX series - for many years has been the 80mm Planar.

The Sonnar is a seven-element lens first introduced by Bertele in 1934. In the Hasselblad this design is applied for use in the "longer" lenses: the 150mm Zeiss is a "Sonnar"

Neither are "zoom" lenses. The only Zoom I'm familiar with for the 'Blad, is a Schneider Variogon ... (I think) ... I've forgotten the focal length/s -- they are long ... something like 250mm - 500mm? - and 'WAY expensive - and I'm comparing these to the other Hasselblad lenses.

In practical use, the *only* difference is in the maximum speed and the (obvious) focal lengths. Otherwise I can't see one tenth of one iota of difference in quality.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The classic Zeiss Sonnar design is 5 elements in 4 groups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sonnar.jpg  
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ed and Tom, thank you very for your input! I guess I won't be chasing kids with that camera will I?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    The classic Zeiss Sonnar design is 5 elements in 4 groups.
    Hmmm!!!! Your diagram of the Zeiss Sonnar doesn't look like MY diagram of the Zeiss Sonnar!!

One way to resolve this ... It is late tonight - 0041 hours. Tomorrow, I'll check out the Hasselbald lens catalog in my darkroom, and see what the Hasselblad Zeiss Sonnar looks like.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin