Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 954

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice pictures, but sad too.

With the quality of modern films, the old folders (at least the better ones) can deliver pretty decent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work/story.
    I know it a bit.
    My old man escaped the coal mine that employed his father and claimed his grandfather.
    The town is a shadow now.

I've often thought what a good subject for an in depth docu series.
    Thanks for posting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone! The Super is indeed super - it's a simple joy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Nice work!

What's perhaps more mind boggling at Birdsboro, just south/east of town, sharing its driveway with the Schuylkill River Trail, is the defunct Armorcast corporation. There are four tall smokestacks sticking up along one side. I think it was a spin-off from the Birdsboro Steel Foundry, etc., but at any rate, they apparently made Sherman and Patton tanks during WWII and the Korean war. But like so many things, eventually they failed to win a contract in the 1980s and shut down. I did a little Googling on this stuff after bicycling by there a week or two back. Supposedly the Armorcast building has multiple bays 70 feet wide and over 1400 feet long -- could make some hellacious loft condos!

(I'd show some pix, but I only had my P&S bit electrocuter on my rides by there.)

Alas, most of the Schuylkill Valley is in various stages of those downward industrial life cycles. I fear sales associate at MalWart doesn't quite replace the sorts of jobs lost out of those plants. Phoenixville seems to be once again rising from the ashes at least a little; Pottstown is trying but has a ways to go.

DaveT
    Dave, I'm familiar with Armorcast. You should search for it on flickr - there are a lot of people who've snuck in to shoot. I've read the police are cracking down on that, and defunct industrial sites are inherently dangerous, so I'll leave that to those more foolhardy. I've also read that the site is being developed, but those stories are dated by a few years now, so it may never happen. Why it would in Birdsboro, in the first place, kind of eludes me. But it's a neat town with a lot of history. And it's nearby.

Phoenixville is becoming a nice little town again. Pottstown does indeed have a way to go, though.

Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In case anyone's bored, I added a post about the Super to my blog...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love those cameras and pictures!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Beautiful work.

I wish I had the cash to make an offer on that camera when it came up. In the unlikely work that you should you ever decide to part with it, shoot me a message. Haha!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys!

Brian, I don't think the Super will be going anywhere anytime soon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    great work scott!

i hope you continue with this sort of thing and do a lulu book ( with your son too ! )

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin