Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,511   Online: 1095

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help me Identify these two Things - Can you read German?

Hi all,

This weekend I obtained a Voigtlander Bergheil (6x4.5) and the two objects shown below (and some other stuff) - can you help me identify what they are? I have some guesses, but thought I would listen first.

BTW, here is a link to photo.net that shows the Bergheil (the "cute" size)

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Z1Le

Anyone that has experience with that camera, please contact me!

Dave

http://flic.kr/p/a2qQeT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here are the other links:

http://flic.kr/p/a2qPXK

Obviously, the first object is made of wood.

Second one is a metal tube, German writing on it - can someone tell me what it says?

http://flic.kr/p/a2qPG2

http://flic.kr/p/a2qPoP

And the red flashlight is there to give some scale.

I wish I knew better how to post pictures.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I don't know any German but did some quick typing and threw the visible text at Google Translate.
    Wichtige Merkmale:
    1) Plattenempfindlichkeit richtig einstellen.
    2) Scharfes Einstellen der Lupe auf die sichtbaren Zahlen.
    3) Nicht mit geblendetem Auge messen, ruhendes Auge nur beschatten.
    4) Augenmuschel so ans Auge setzen, das kein Seitenlicht einfällt.
    5) In Räumen, beî bedecktem Himmel, od. bei künstlichem Licht nach ca. 10 Sek. Durchsicht ablesen, aber bei künstlicher Beleuchtung einen Lichtwert weniger einstellen, als abgelesen wurde.
    6) Bei Sonne und hell beleuchteten Objecten nach ca. 20 Sek. ablesen.
    7) Auf blendenden Schneefeldern, oder stark von der Sonne bestrahlten Wasserflächen nach ca. einer Minute ablesen.
    8) Bei angestrengten Wanderungen auf stark blendenden Gletschern nach ca. 1.5 Min ablesen, aber einen Lichtwert mehr einstellen, als abgelesen wurde
    is what I read from the photo, Google rendered it as:
    Important features:
    1) Adjust sensitivity plate properly.
    2) focusing of the lens to the visible numbers.
    3) Do not measure with blinded eye, eye shadow just resting.
    4) eyecup contact you as to the eye, not think of a side light.
    5) In areas under an overcast sky, or the read under artificial light after about 10 seconds reviewing, but less on artificial lighting set a light value, as was read.
    6) When the sun is bright and illuminated objects after about 20 sec read.
    7) On the dazzling snow fields, or read much of the sun exposed areas of water after about a minute.
    8) For strenuous hikes on very dazzling glaciers read by about 1.5 min, but set a light value more than was read
    It's a little jumbled (machine translations are never perfect) but I think it's enough to tell us it is an extinction meter. You're looking at the scene and comparing it to some kind of built-in step tablet to try and judge the correct exposure. And of course your eyes will be affected by ambient light, hence the warnings about bright surroundings.

hope that helps,

Steven

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The tube is an exposure meter. You have to guess which number you can read. Not of much use today.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The wooden object look like it could be a contact printing frame, with glass missing and the backing plate missing. Looks like a metal spring plate to push the backing plate forward and compress the negative into solid register with the paper. Not sure if this is from the age of printing-out paper

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dan,

I originally thought the same thing, but that squarish frame is just the bottom of it that sits on a table. After playing with it for awhile, it turns out to be a paper/film cutter. You put the paper along the paper along the ruler edge, letting the excess fall between the metal bars and push down on the wood. That half of it moves down and the metal edges cut it like a giant pair of scissors. The piece of springy metal pushes it open again. I hope the picture shows it well. I wonder how prevalent these where - it has no brand name or any other identification mark on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ja, ve haf vays of making you talk !!
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin