Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,443   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Do you store your film in a cooler while shooting?

Do you store your film in a cooler while shooting? Do you carry a small cooler with you when you are outside of your studio?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes and no. (I only shoot B&W)

I have a giant cooler in trunk of my car with NO ice in it. I keep my gear and film in there to transport. It's there just so that temp does not rise beyond ambient temp - not to cool. Once I'm in the field, I keep film with me usually in my bags. As far as I know, b&w films aren't affected by human-comfortable temperatures. I never had any heat related issues.

I live in Central Florida.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, not even in Florida during the summer. But I will not leave film in a closed car, that is just too hot. However, there is a good use for small coolers. Use them as camera cases. People will steal a camera case but very few will steal a cooler.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    No, not even in Florida during the summer. But I will not leave film in a closed car, that is just too hot. However, there is a good use for small coolers. Use them as camera cases. People will steal a camera case but very few will steal a cooler.
    Smart!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes. Most of the time, though, I don't put any ice or other cooling medium in it.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I tend to use a cooler, if I'm doing something like shooting large format out of the trunk of a car in the heat, and I don't want the film to get as hot as the car. I don't put ice in, because I don't want condensation forming inside the cooler with the film. That way, if I'm shooting 8x10", say, I can have a bunch of holders ready to go in the cooler and a few in my knapsack, park the car, make a few shots, put the exposed holders in the cooler and restock the knapsack before moving on to the next location.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a cooler, no ice, whenever the temperatures in the car are going to be above 75. That's most of the time in Texas where I live. I don't have a trunk, so the cooler is in the main body of the car. If the temps are above 90 or so, I put a few frozen water bottles in the bottom of the cooler, and cover them with a towel to absorb moisture. It doesn't make the cooler cold enough for condensation to form, just keeps it from overheating with the rest of the car.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have done that every once in a while.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but I keep the film bags out of the sun and heat. I always carry my film in to places if I will be there for more than 10 or 15 minutes, rather than leaving it in the car. When I go hiking, I just keep it in my backpack. Never had a problem, even with IR film. I've definitely had heat damage on rolls that have fallen under my car seats and sat there for who knows how long.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use to keep my 8x10 holders and film in a big ice chest (w/o ice). The holders fit perfectly. Now I use insulated soft-sided bags meant for two bottles of wine.

Some kids target ice chests -- looking for beer.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin