Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,756   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cokin P Holder, Very Very Tight

I just ordered a Cokin P adapter ring and holder off ebay. Atleast I'm assuming it's Cokin. I just got it today and tried to use it with my Singh-Ray NDgrad and it is super tight!! I'm actually worried I'll break the filter pushing it up and down the holder. Also my camera gets pushed up and down on the tripod.

So my question is, is this common? Should I sand the filter down a little on the sides so it slides smoother? Or did I mess up by buying this cheap Cokin wanna-be off ebay and got a piece of junk, and should just go buy a Cokin one from B&H?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have genuine Cokin P filters and holders. They are tight but not THAT tight. It takes my holding holder firmly and push with few fingers. Unless I have it going in very straight, filters get bound up and won't go in.

My filter holder has "Cokin" embossed at the very top where the lip defines where the filters should reach. (does that make sense?) On back of it, it has "Made in France" and "Patent Pending" at corners.

Cokin brackets are pretty inexpensive. You might just want to get one if yours isn't genuine. If anything, I'd file the bracket, rather than the filter itself.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks tk, I did look at my holder and it does not say "Cokin" on it, or anything for that matter. I have found that using the 2nd slot closest to the lens is not nearly as tight. I will use that slot for now until I can get a real Cokin P holder. I see B&H is currently out of stock of alot of Cokin stuff. But I don't trust to buy it anywhere else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What the heck.... Adorama (my usual source) is out of that stuff, too. I wonder if this is a supply side problem.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cokin is undergoing the French version of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, or something like that.
    Bob

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Cokin is undergoing the French version of Chapter 11 bankruptcy, or something like that.
    Oh wow, well I found one on amazon. I may go ahead and order that holder just in case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The corporate web site is gone now, that don't look good, or they just haven't been paying the bill.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought a Cokin P B&W Kit at B and H on Tuesday. I haven't done much with it, but I think the slot closest to the lense is a little tighter than the other two.

I hadn't heard about the company having issues. I did have to wait three weeks for B and H to get some in though. I noticed Cokin's website was down last week but didn't think much of it.

-Raul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cokin has been purchased by Tokina. I expect things will get back to normal but slowly.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin