Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,846   Online: 748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Opened the Camera & Spoiled the Film

I made a dumbass mistake today. I went to load my Yaschica Mat with film but I forgot that there was already a half-shot roll inside.

Needless to say, the film in the camera is spoiled.
    I wound the roll through and sealed it as normal then marked the roll "SPOILED."
    (I'll probably use that roll for experiments or something.)

I'm just wondering for knowledge sake, how much of the film was actually destroyed? In a 35 mm. the film that's still inside the cartridge is still all right.

If you screw up like that with a 35 mm. You can just close the camera back up, waste three frames and keep shooting. At least the frames at the tail end will still be good. If you're lucky, some of the film that's wound up at the center of the takeup spool might still be all right.

I was indoors, sitting at the dining room table when I screwed up. No lights or lamps on in the house. Only window light.

So, when you screw up with a Yashica/Rollei style TLR camera with 120 format film, how much of the film actually gets zapped? Can you, at least, recover and keep shooting like you can do with 35 mm?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sorry to hear! I was developing a roll of film a few weeks ago and the top of the processing tank popped open and out came the film. I only lost a maybe 4 of the 15 photos (645 camera). So you might get lucky and get some salvaged?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The advantage of 120/220 is that you have a paper backing that gives some protection. You might lose a frame on either side of the one in the que but other than that the rest should be fine. Ask me how I know, go ahead, ask.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with Guistik -- except 220 only has paper on the beginning and the end (otherwise the roll would be too big in diameter to load), so one might lose a few more images than with 120.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't shoot 220 that much and wasn't thinking about it only having the leader/tail with the paper backing. That is why this place is so good, when you make a mistake you get moral support and gentle correction when necessary
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I did this with a 35mm film and I could recover most of the content. If you develop the film yourself it's a little expense. You'll recover more than you think.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did that with one of my Mamiya's. I forgot that I had already loaded it and popped it open to insert a fresh roll. I just closed it up and shot the roll any way. I ended up with eight or nine exposures instead of 12. Ihe only reason for that was the camera zeroed out and did a restart to the number one when I advanced the film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We've all made dumb mistakes like that. Suggest pulling the spool out (you never know when an empty 120 spool might come in handy) and trash the rest. The hurt will go away faster that way.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    aw that sucks. I did that once with my mamiya 7 and luckily only ruined a few frames if I remember right. Lesson I learned: check your frame counter before popping the back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I pulled an RB 67 film back out of my bag yesterday and the dark slide was hooked on a thread. Advanced 2 and kept going.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin