Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,587   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleicord price, advice needed.

Hey everyone! After shooting with my Yashica Mat LM (which is in great condition and has been flocked by me) for a while now I decided to invest in a lower end Rollei TLR of some sort to have a second TLR and for a slight change of pace. I put out an ad looking for a Rolleiflex [preferably Automat] or a Rolleicord of some sort and got a few replies.

I've been talking to one gent who has four Rolleis that he was thinking of selling, one 'flex Automat w/Tessar, two 'cord IIIs w/ Xenar and one 'cord II w/ Triotar. They are all in great condition except for one which has the slower shutter speeds lag a bit, they also all have cases and some other accessories.

At first I proposed to buy the Automat, but he said that it's the one he is reluctant to sell as it has sentimental value to him. No problem I said, I was actually really interested in the 'cords, more than the 'flexes almost. I really like knob wind advance and separate shutter cocking (I've shot with a Mamiya C-220 and loved it), the only thing I'm worried about are the dim screens (although I can always get a brighter replacement screen). I said that I would be seriously interested in one of the 'cords and I am leaning heavily towards one of the 'cord IIIs with the Xenar (I'm not picky with lenses, all Rollei lenses are great by my standards as long as they're coated) and need some advice.

What would be a fair price to offer for a Rolleicord III with the Xenar in very good to excellent condition? I checked evilbay's completed listings and there were a few sold recently from $99 to $199, so I'm not sure what would be a fair offer to make.

What about the Rolleicord II with the Triotar, how does it compare to the III? What are the main differences?

Also, what is the parallax correction like on these?

Thanks!

EDIT: The 'cord with the Triotar is more specifically a IIc model 4.
    Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD; 07-19-2011 at 05:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not ask the seller his price for the camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever you get, if you want to smoothly operate both Yashica and Rollei cameras, it might be worth comparing the ergonomics.

I have an automat with crank on the right and focus on the left, and a yashica-C which focuses on the right and advances on the right. It messes with my mind a little bit to change sides for focusing. After several shots you then get used to the changed method of advancing film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Why not ask the seller his price for the camera?
    I did, but he just wants me to make him an offer. He sounds like a very fair older guy who just wants to let these go to someone who will use them and care for them, so I'm guessing that he will accept any fair offer. That's the part I'm not sure about, how much a fair offer would be in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Whatever you get, if you want to smoothly operate both Yashica and Rollei cameras, it might be worth comparing the ergonomics.

I have an automat with crank on the right and focus on the left, and a yashica-C which focuses on the right and advances on the right. It messes with my mind a little bit to change sides for focusing. After several shots you then get used to the changed method of advancing film.
    I'm not worried about the ergonomics, I can easily get used to the switched focusing (I've shot with a Mamiya C-220 and owned a C-33 for a while, so I've used right hand focusing), the dim screens are the only thing that I'm worried about.

Nobody can give me any pointers regarding an offer though?

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've paid $60 for IId 'cord, had few scratches on the body but working condition was great. hope this helps.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD View Post
    What about the Rolleicord II with the Triotar, how does it compare to the III? What are the main differences?

Also, what is the parallax correction like on these?
    The Rolleicord II has a red window on the bottom which you use to transport the film to the first frame and then you manually start the mechanical counter. The Rolleicord III uses markings on the sides of the film gate where you align the start arrows on the films backing paper, then you close the back and wind the film which automatically stops at 1.

The III also has flash synch, the II doesn't.

The Triotar is a three element lens and the Xenar has four and is a bit sharper. The Triotar is probably uncoated.

There's also a better chance that the mirror is in good condition in the III.

Both models have parallax compensation in the finder. The frame moves when you focus. It works perfectly!

The 'cord with the Triotar is more specifically a IIc model 4.
    The factory didn't use letters for Rolleicord names. They were invented by collectors. I assume it's like this one, with bayonet on both lenses and Compur instead of Compur-Rapid?

http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tl..._1939-1950.jpg

Let the condition and your wallet set the price. Anything between $50 - $100.
    Last edited by JPD; 07-20-2011 at 05:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    Both models have parallax compensation in the finder. The frame moves when you focus. It works perfectly.
    I have never noticed this feature on my Rolleiflex 3.5E. Was this only on Rolleicord models ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the Rolleis have the moving finder thing, at least the later models anyway. You probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it. A rolleicord 111 would be the best bet, and around $150.00 would be a fair price if the camera is fully working and in nice condition.
    The dim viewfinders are a bit of a hassle with the 'Cords, I just use them with the magnifier all the time. BTW, the Triotar lens is still quite good, and has a great vintage look when used at full aperture. Maybe you could buy both, a $200.00 deal maybe?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    I have never noticed this feature on my Rolleiflex 3.5E. Was this only on Rolleicord models ?
    Your camera has it. Hold it against the sky or a bright lit wall and turn the focus knob and you will see the frame under the viewing screen move.

All Rolleicords and all Rolleiflexes, except the Original and Standard models, has it. The Original and Standard Rolleiflexes have a smaller viewing area instead to compensate for parallax.
    J. Patric Dahlén

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    A rolleicord 111 would be the best bet, and around $150.00 would be a fair price if the camera is fully working and in nice condition.
    The dim viewfinders are a bit of a hassle with the 'Cords, I just use them with the magnifier all the time. BTW, the Triotar lens is still quite good, and has a great vintage look when used at full aperture. Maybe you could buy both, a $200.00 deal maybe?
    Couldn't agree more. The Rolleicord III is the best allround camera of the two, but the II is great as a back-up camera, or loaded with another type of film. The Triotar is charming fully open, and very sharp stopped down to f:11.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin