Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 725

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the €200 Bronica SQ was not really in optimal state (shutterspeed dial was loose and there were some other problems) so that deal turned out to not be so good after all. There's also quite a good deal on a Hasselblad 500C/M, however lenses are very expensive. I know that the Mamiya rb/rz67 are really big and heavy, but I have read that they are very well built.

The TLRs are also quite heavy as I have seen, and rangefinders are not really my thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you've already made your decision.

RB/RZ are well made. No doubt about that. But I would recommend you hold it in person and really think, if you'd be willing to carry that. Some people will, I will not. TLRs are light compared to RB/RZ. Non-interchangeable lens TLRs are very VERY light.

It's really your choice. I personally have Mamiya M645Pro and I like my kit.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 645 bodies are a decent price, but since the intro of the 645D igital, some lenses have skyrocketed in price.

S
    Bob

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bronica SQ bodies, especially the newer SQ-Ai and B, are probably worth a look. As you saw, the early SQ-A bodies are usually beat to death. I have an SQ-B and really like its size and weight. They're getting harder to find in nice shape since they're really the only mass-market 6x6 SLR system camera apart from Hasselblad. Things like 120 backs are getting pricey, so make damn sure you get one with 120, not a 220 back.

Medium format rangefinders like the Mamiya 6 and 7 are wonderful but pricey.

I have a Mamiya RB67 Pro S that I frankly have shot more. The big negative and the ability to close focus, thanks to its bellows, are what sold me. Its not petite but it hits the trifecta of negative size, optical quality, and affordability.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One important question, can the SQ-B do timed exposures?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would imagine so, most decent cameras can do that.

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxFrank View Post
    One important question, can the SQ-B do timed exposures?
    No B or T settings. Longest shutter speed is 8 sec. Mamiya RB67 sets shutter speeds on the lens and uses a T setting for long exposures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    RB/RZ are well made. No doubt about that. But I would recommend you hold it in person and really think, if you'd be willing to carry that.

That's my usual advice too. I'm quite happy carrying an RB67 for a few miles but it's not everyone's idea of fun.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Hasselblads now; I owned a Mamiya C330. When I was in college I worked in a large camera store summers and part time.

I will not push my preferences on you. I will instead give you some advice base on my experience. Personally, I think that you will not be happy with 645 in the long run, choose 6x6 or larger.

1) Ask your self what you are going to use the camera for.
    2) What can you afford now? The first MF camera will probably not be the one you end up with in the long haul, so invest enough money in what you think you want with the realization that you may change or upgrade later. In otherwords, try not to spend a lot of money on the first one. Something you will like better will eventually come along. You are buying a camera; not getting married to it.
    3) This is the most important part and only you can answer it. How does it feel in your hands? Is it too small or too large for your fingers? Is it too small or too large for your hands [important, this is not the same question]? Is it too heavy for you to use for hours? Are you comfortable with the controls and ergonomics?
    4) Start with one lens and become 'one' with the camera and lens before you add any more lenses. I have seen too many people buy a camera and several lenses only to be come overwhelmed or just whelmed and never really get good or comfortable with the camera.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That's my usual advice too. I'm quite happy carrying an RB67 for a few miles but it's not everyone's idea of fun.

Steve.
    When I was considering RB/RZ, I actually went to a local store that had both on display. Held it in my hands for a bit and that made a decision for me. There's no way I'm going to carry that AND few lenses, and few rolls, and other junk all day long. My limit is M645 or large 35mm.

I do sincerely hope OP has a chance to hold each camera in consideration or buy from places where returns are gladly accepted. In my mind, ability to create super quality negatives mean nothing if I (and the camera) never get to the scene.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin