Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,638   Online: 953

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love the RB67.. but it is a beast for carrying. It's ok with one or two lenses in a backpack, but not a tourist-about-town camera system for me (that's what Yashica TLRs were made for). It is extremely flexible though.. three lenses, a couple of film backs and a polaroid back and I'm set for pretty much anything. And it's very capable with long exposures - something I use it for with night shots. For filters it's a doddle.. almost every lens is the same filter thread.

I started in MF with an Ensign Selfix folder, and for under £20 it's a cheap, easy and very portable route into medium format. Cheaper than a Holga, with a proper glass lens, aperture and shutter speed selection. The Ensign still comes out from time-to-time, although the Yashica D is the go-to lens for portability (another relatively cheap route into MF, I picked a mint example up for £50).

MaxFrank.. whereabouts are you? maybe you need to meet-up with someone and spend a couple of hours seeing how a couple of different systems are in use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Im in the Netherlands. I know I won't be using the camera as a tourist type in city camera (have my dSLR for that ) I'm quite a big guy, and I'm quite okay handling a pro SLR and a 300mm mounted on it. Unfortunately I have not been able to find either a Bronica SQ or RB/RZ67 locally in a shop where I can try them out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nobody said it yet... but even though they are expensive the Hasselblad 500 series with a 80 or 60mm caries so nice on the shoulder. I swear it feels no heavier than a Nikon F.

The Hasselblad pivots lens down when carried with the strap, and has smooth edges that don't poke you... this is my main point.
    I can walk around with the Blad on my shoulder or neck all day and not be bothered.

I just chose it as my walkabout camera on vacation this summer once again... although the Zeiss Nettar folder is real neat and easy to pocket in baggy shorts.... the viewfinder on those old folders leaves a lot to the imagination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Nobody said it yet... but even though they are expensive the Hasselblad 500 series with a 80 or 60mm caries so nice on the shoulder. I swear it feels no heavier than a Nikon F.

The Hasselblad pivots lens down when carried with the strap, and has smooth edges that don't poke you... this is my main point.
    I can walk around with the Blad on my shoulder or neck all day and not be bothered.
    I quite agree and I use Nikon SLRs and Hasselblads. Your point that the camera needs to be available without causing discomfort when carrying it all day is part of what I was refering to several posts ago about the camera fitting the user.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve... And those plastic cameras don't take kindly to being knocked against a door jamb, etc when carried.
    Most people would cringe about me tossing my 500 in the back-seat of the car or even the trunk (boot).
    First 3 years I had it, it lived in a hard case... but after a couple trips through a steel mill and photographing agriculture I realized it is sort of a Mack truck of cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have certainly looked at the Hasselblad 500c/m, there's a 500c/m body, 80/2.8, WLF and back up for €800 but that's not exactly a steal in my book. Plus the fact that lenses are really expensive and they don't have normal filter threads I believe. Being a student I'm not exactly swimming in money

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WLF is what I use for everything except when I shoot it out of the airplane.
    I bought mine when I wasn't swimming in cash either... but it has been worth every penny and the Digital Backs interface too.
    My other favorite but I have never owned one is the Pentax 67

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get a good Rolleiflex and later you will see if another device is needed. Rolleiflexes aren't the most flexible of the cameras, yet they deliver other important things, like portability and optical quality, just to name a couple.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxFrank View Post
    I have certainly looked at the Hasselblad 500c/m,
    snip

and they don't have normal filter threads I believe.
    A bay 50/60 step ring to whatever filters you already have is one way around this but I much prefer the bayonet system on the hasselblad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxFrank View Post
    I have certainly looked at the Hasselblad 500c/m, there's a 500c/m body, 80/2.8, WLF and back up for €800 but that's not exactly a steal in my book. Plus the fact that lenses are really expensive and they don't have normal filter threads I believe. Being a student I'm not exactly swimming in money
    Buying a Hasselblad mean that one waits longer between lens purchases. I only had one lens for my Minolta SR-7 until I had graduated college and been working over a year. It is amazing what one can photograph with 'only' a normal lens.

I too greatly prefer the baynette filters.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin