Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 835

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I too use an auxiliary range finder on my old folders. I have few that I even purchased off of APUG. The one I use the most is the Walz finder on either the vintage Bessa 6x9 or the Rodenstock 6x7. I have even used those cameras using the guesstimate method and got back wonderful results. Old folders are the best and cheapest. I am just wondering why you don't want to deal with Certo6?
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    i had never seen one of those aux rangefinders before brad sent me a photo of one, it seems they are the way to go !

Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I am just wondering why you don't want to deal with Certo6?
    i'd rather not get into it here in the forum ... i'll send you a PM ...
    lets just say some people have had wonderful experiences with him
    and some people have had less than wonderful experiences with him ..
    mine was not very good ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    any suggestions for a medium format coupled rangefinder that won't cost a fortune ?
    im not interested in a museum piece, but something
    i can put film through that won't be finicky ...

i have a few holgaeque cameras but i am not a range focus fan i'd rather focus ... not guess ...

i have thought of a moskva 4 or 5 but worry that if there is a problem
    i will never be able to get it fixed, are there folks here in the usa that fix them ?

any suggestions of other folding cameras ( i don't want to buy them from certo6 ... )

thanks !

john
    You might want to consider the Fuji GS 645. This was manufactured from '84 to '86. This meets your needs for a folding, modern rangefinder M/F. It uses the 645 format in portrait mode and is meter coupled. I've owned one since it came out and it's my favorite walk about camera. The optics are outstanding. The downsides are that the bellows develops pinholes after time and the wind mechanism could be a bit sturdier. I've had the bellows replaced once and it's been CLA'd only twice since I purchased it back in '86. If handled with a bit of care, it should give you long service. Fuji also made some fixed lens non-bellows cameras as well. Some were scale focusing with fixed 60mm wide lenses and others were auto focus as well. Try them all out and see what fits you best.
    Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Greg Weber is the "go to" guy for these.

. . .

On the other hand, a tuned up K-O is not only very portable and quick to use, as it was designed to be, but it is truly a tank of a camera that's battle field ready. In fact, you can probably use it as a weapon in a street fight, then after you beat the assailant senseless with it, you can still take pictures as evidence for your side of the story.

MB
    Good morning, Michael;

" . . . a camera that's battle field ready."

Funny thing that you should mention that. Ever advanced the film in the magazine of a Koni-Omega Rapid-M? Ever heard someone else advance the film in the magazine of a Koni-Omega Rapid-M? As Clint Eastwood would say; "It makes a distinctive sound." Think 9mm Parabellum or .45 ACP going into battery.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for the Koni-Omega. I really like my Rapid M.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try this John, Zeiss Ercona II with a Tessar, you will get a blast of a camera very cheap, they are superb.

Cheers
    Last edited by André E.C.; 07-22-2011 at 11:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seagull 203 or 203-I can be found quite cheaply. Nice cameras actually. Love the film advance lever, instead of a wheel and looking thru a window. I sold mine when I got my super 23, but miss it sometimes.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamyia Univeral, lens are very sharp and with a 6x9 back it is my first choice for MF landscapes. But is a heavy camera, my Crown Graphic is lighter. I also have the orignal Mamyia 6 folder, the one from the 50s, also very sharp 80mm others had a 75mm, great camera for travel. I have also used the Konica Omega, what I liked about the KO over the Mamyia Press system is that you need to cock the shutter on the MP, the KO is a much faster camera which is why it was marketed as the rapid.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Me too thinking this direction; but I want quality at least comparable to a £eica 35mm kit.

I am searching the forums for someone who has used the Voigtlander (Cosina) badged Fuji folder, the Bessa III. It does 6x6 and 6x7, the viewfinder is allegedly one of the best (rangefinder type) and the shutter is almost inaudible. So far so good, and being a folder it goes in a pocket (which a Ro££ei TLR will not), and has a three year guarantee (not bad for a bellows folder)

The equivalent would be a late Zei$$ Ikonta style but would probably need immediate care. On the other hand they'll hold their price which the Bessa will not (£2000 currently)

Lastly the Bessa has a 3,5 Cosina built Fujinon lens, again allegedly very good but I doubt Fuji used exotic glass - maybe there is no need in an 80mm 3,5, but somehow I do not think their design and alignment construction is in £eica/Zei$$ league.

Over to the knowledgeable public?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    John,
    If you can find one a good coupled rangefinder camera is a Ensign Commando, I have one and the uncoated Ensar lens produces great negatives, plus you have the choice of either 6x6 or 645, another camera I use regulerly without problems is a Balda Super Baldax, great pictures and neither would break the bank, I think I paid around GBP £50 for the Baldax and a bit more for the commando.
    Richard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin