Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,284   Online: 924

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

medium format coupled rangefinder

any suggestions for a medium format coupled rangefinder that won't cost a fortune ?
    im not interested in a museum piece, but something
    i can put film through that won't be finicky ...

i have a few holgaeque cameras but i am not a range focus fan i'd rather focus ... not guess ...

i have thought of a moskva 4 or 5 but worry that if there is a problem
    i will never be able to get it fixed, are there folks here in the usa that fix them ?

any suggestions of other folding cameras ( i don't want to buy them from certo6 ... )

thanks !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MF rangefinder:
    - Fuji have a lot of models in lot of sizes: 6 x 4.6, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 ... give a look to those. Usually fixed lenses.
    - Mamiya series 6 and 7 are good, but they are more expensive. More flexible also.
    -Folding MF cameras are hard to find cheap and modern at the same time. The only modern I know is FUji GF670, which is a 2010 model, but not cheap.
    Neto G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Mamiya Super 23 & a Koni Omega Rapid.
    The Rapid is great for street and quick grab stuff.
    Bulky but worth it imo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can only advise the one I own John, the superb Fujica GW690.

http://tuitionet.blogspot.com/2008/0...90-gsw690.html

Cheers
    Last edited by André E.C.; 07-19-2011 at 04:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link

Shooter
    35mm RF
    unfortunately the manufacturing of the medium format rangefinders has always been in the low numbers, not sure if you consider pentax 67 II a museum camera, but it will add to your limited choices IMHO.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi John,
    I've a fondness for the medium format folder too.
    I've not found any old folders with coupled rangefinder at reasonable prices though.

My compromise involves a guess focus folder with a accessory rangefinder sitting in the cold shoe. I focus with the rangefinder, transfer the distance from the rf to the lens...not optimal but,
    it's all part of the fun.

I've also resumed my love/hate relationship with an old mamiya TLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a range finder 120 film circa 1935 Certo Dolly SuperSport with a Zeiss lens for under $100 at APUG. It took superb photographs. I sold it to another APUGger. The negative scan is quite reduced, but you can see that the Zeiss optics still produce great photographs. On a 30"x30" [72mm x 72mm] print you can see that each piece of glass has a different engraving.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Union Station 2007-07-07reduced.jpg  
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for the suggestions so far ...

while the mamiyas and pentax and fujis are nice,
    i think they are beyond my budget ...

brad, your aux rangefinder sounds interesting ..
    is that like one of those distance measuring devices golfers use ?

thanks for the pic steve -
    i'll keep my eyes on the classifieds more than usual -

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,

If the size and weight do not bother you, the Mamiya Press system is outstanding. They are cheaper than the fixed-lens Fuji RFs, and many times more versatile. They have interchangeable lenses and back, are multi-format (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9 with the right backs), and they have a ground glass back if you want to focus that way. They can also be used with 2x3 Graflok accessories if you get the proper Mamiya to Graflex adapter. Let me know if you want me to send you my spare copy of the Mamiya System Handbook so you can read all about the system. Oh, yeah. You can use them for Polaroid/Fujiroid as well, if you get the Universal model.The Super 23 gives up the versatility in terms of rear attachments in order to give you limited rear movements with the 100mm lens only, or any lens when used for close-focusing. The lenses are outstanding IMO. Like all Mamiyas of the time, they are built like tanks. the best model is the Universal IMO. Find a G adapter, and you are set to shoot 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9 roll film using Graflok-compatible roll holders, plus you can shoot regular 2x3 sheet film, instead of the funky metric sheets that require dedicated Mamiya sheet film holders.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    brad, your aux rangefinder sounds interesting ..
    is that like one of those distance measuring devices golfers use ?

john

John, I sent you a PM about this....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin