Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,087   Posts: 1,635,780   Online: 1256

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I can understand the interest in collecting cameras (and most other things!) and I've one or two which I keep just for the fun of it. Otherwise I now try to restrict myself to gear which I will really use.

OTOH, I was fascinated by sub-min Minox as a kid, and bought three cameras and all the bits-and-pieces about 10 years ago. I've realised since that it was a rather expensive mistake, as I've never had time to use them....as I get older, it seems I've hardly enough spare time to keep up (and work on improving!) my 35mm, and occasional 120, shooting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    As far as I am concerned, using fast (ISO 400) film with medium format is counterproductive because the same enlargability can be achieved with using an ISO 100 film with 35mm. The only time there is a (potential) decided advantage with medium format is in using slow film (Pan F) in medium format. Doing so prevents 35mm from being able to match the quality because you are not going to find slower film than Pan F for normal usage. That is why I am solely a 35mm guy: the quality and precision are very advanced.
    I shoot TMY2 film (400 speed) pretty exclusively in 120 format. It provides the detail and quality of slower films. The faster speed is useful in 120 so I can do more without a tripod, have small apertures, shoot at dusk, etc.. Top quality 400 speed film makes 120 format useful in more situations. TMY2 is highly enlargeable. Not everyone likes this film, but I've figured it out pretty good and think it's a nice option. Other people on the gallery here are doing great stuff with it too.

Technical comparisons aside, a TLR creates a different interaction with your subject if you are photographing people. I'm on the wrong side of the camera to understand completely, but I think it's a little more polite and genteel to bow your head toward the subject and look into the WLF's magnifying glass than to hide behind a normal 35mm camera.

I've got a cheap rolleiflex automat model with a tessar and I would also suggest its worth adding to your collection or at least trying out. The 3.5 tessar cameras aren't expensive like the planars and do a great job and are well built.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used a Rolleicord in high school.

Then at various times in the intervening 25 or so years have used a Yashica C, Yashica A, Mamiya C330, Yashica D, and Ansco Speedex Rapid folder for Meduim format work for periods of more than a few months each. The C330 amd Speedex I presently have. A camera is just a tool. That said, the lightness of a nice simple TLR is appreciated after lugging larger gear for a day. I would consider trying to get a rent of or loan of one. The Yashicas stopped down and/or with a DIY hood are as capable, and a fraction of the price of th Rolleicord.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha ha, I too bought a large glass cabinet to display and keep all my cameras. Although they aren't just display, I also try to use them whenever I can, at the least I take them out and enjoy their greatness.
    The collection also isn't restricted to 35mm, I have cameras of a lot of formats. I am sure I will be collecting for the rest of my life too...

TLRs have to be my favorite though, there is something with looking down through the ground glass and holding such a beautiful camera and the way its controlled... ahhh :P
    www.photique.posterous.com - dedicated film and vintage camera blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Read my sig. below!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Read my sig. below!
    "We go into the circle by night we are consumed by fire"
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Tell our contestant what he's won, Don Pardo!

Yes, we are consumed by fire as moths in a flame.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try really to hold the line on not acquiring cameras I won't use. It's not a perfect success---I've gotten a few doorstops in bottom-feeding eBay transactions, some of which have made lovely shelf queens---but it's a way to keep a modicum of restraint.

Really, I wouldn't want to get in the position of having more good "user" cameras than I could use; it seems unfair to the cameras. Good tools shouldn't be idled.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    meh, its not all that bad,.... we could be spending the money on crack, hookers and booze.

which would probably make for some great photo ops....

:P

Shooter
    35mm
    Bit over two years now since I got plunged headlong into film photography again for the first time since I was a kid... Up to around 25 cameras now and all work except for a couple of chance purchases and a couple of instamatics.
    I have a Rolleicord which is my favorite camera I own. I would love a Flex though...
    Medium format kills 35mm in detail, tonality for mono, enlargement and more. And a medium format transparency is mind blowing...

Would love a Leica and a Hassy but I really want a large format now...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin