Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,659   Online: 1031

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any self respecting photographer should include "Owning and using a Rolleiflex TLR" in his/her bucket list

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    Would love a Leica and a Hassy but I really want a large format now...
    There is a really slippery slope...

They have tried to isolated them on their own web site (Large Format Photography Forum), but I see many escape to here too!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, a Rolleiflex is definitely high on the list. I feel like I should just wait and get a 2.8 when I get the funds together instead of settling on the 3.5 series...
    www.photique.posterous.com - dedicated film and vintage camera blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I can understand the interest in collecting cameras (and most other things!) and I've one or two which I keep just for the fun of it. Otherwise I now try to restrict myself to gear which I will really use.

OTOH, I was fascinated by sub-min Minox as a kid, and bought three cameras and all the bits-and-pieces about 10 years ago. I've realised since that it was a rather expensive mistake, as I've never had time to use them....as I get older, it seems I've hardly enough spare time to keep up (and work on improving!) my 35mm, and occasional 120, shooting!
    I only keep the equipment I use regularly too,when my children were young I read a lot of child psychology books and apparently the collecting urge is caused by too early toilet training in childhood.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I must have been toilet trained by the age of six months then.... I've got a decent if small collection of vintage images (mostly daguerreotypes, tintypes and CDVs, with the odd albumen print tossed in for good measure), more camera stuff than I ought to (cameras range from 35mm and compact digital to 14x17 with most sizes in between represented (35mm rangefinder, 35mm slr, 2 1/4 square, 2 1/4 x 2 3/4, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, 4x5, 5x7, 5x12, 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, 8x10, 11x14, 12x15, 14x17) and multiple lenses for each), a library of 1800+ books, and I used to collect coins and pens too.

In the camera collection department, I've got a jones on for a Nikon F with the non-metered prism. It's just such a classic, elegant-looking camera. Either that or a Canon F-1 (not the F-1N, which although a much more useful camera, is a lot uglier). I'd also like to get my 12x15 restored so it is workable - it has most of the required bits and pieces, but needs first and foremost a new bellows, and then some film holders to go with it.

To skip back a thought or two, while Mr. Lyga is entitled to his opinion about 35mm film, I would wholeheartedly disagree with his assessment of medium format. I've dragged my Hasselblad outfit (4 lenses- 50, 80, 120 and a Superwide, three backs, 500C/M body, meter, and film) across Spain and had no problems shooting hand-held and getting great shots. Even with faster films (mostly shooting Bergger BPF200 for b/w, Fuji Reala and NPH for color) I had wonderful enlargements - I've taken some of them up to 16x16 and grain is still imperceptible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This addiction is consuming me!...
    There is hope ... you have only just begun. Get to know and love the technical term for that ==> GAS
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleicord which is my favorite camera I own. I would love a Flex though...
    I have both---the 'cord was my childhood camera, and a few years ago my dad gave me his 'flex (2.8C) since he'd converted fully to digital. The two cameras are more similar than different in use, I'd say; the three big differences are crank vs. knob advance, brightness of the screen, and of course the taking lenses.

What's telling is that I haven't quit using the Rolleicord. The theoretically inferior Xenar lens has a certain warmth and I find myself reaching for it regularly for that reason; the Planar on the Rolleiflex is of course just absurdly sharp and contrasty and all that, but can get a little bit "clinical" in black and white. Bottom line: two incredibly great cameras.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I have both---the 'cord was my childhood camera, and a few years ago my dad gave me his 'flex (2.8C) since he'd converted fully to digital. The two cameras are more similar than different in use, I'd say; the three big differences are crank vs. knob advance, brightness of the screen, and of course the taking lenses.

What's telling is that I haven't quit using the Rolleicord. The theoretically inferior Xenar lens has a certain warmth and I find myself reaching for it regularly for that reason; the Planar on the Rolleiflex is of course just absurdly sharp and contrasty and all that, but can get a little bit "clinical" in black and white. Bottom line: two incredibly great cameras.

-NT
    The Tessar in the older Rollei Automats is a wonderful lens, not as sharp as the Planar, but it has its own quality and charm. Mine seems to have its own signature different from any of my other TLRs' - Mamiyas which have pretty much been relegated to the shelf since I acquired this old Rollei.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    And a medium format transparency is mind blowing...but I really want a large format now...
    You should see an 8x10 transparency. Then you'd REALLY want a LF.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So true. Nothing quite like an 8x10 transparency. I was lucky enough to see some af Mr. Adams 8x10 Kodachromes. Good lord....

As for the Rollei quest, I have/use/love my Rollei but I do get frustrated by the fixed focal length. I think I would love a Tele-Rollei, but $$$ is not on my side right now.

As for the collections, I've got it bad, too. The "worst" is when you get a good deal on a camera and then obsess on getting every available lens for it. Not that I have ever done that or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    You should see an 8x10 transparency. Then you'd REALLY want a LF.

Ed
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin