Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,380   Posts: 1,683,009   Online: 782

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any self respecting photographer should include "Owning and using a Rolleiflex TLR" in his/her bucket list

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by derwent View Post
    Would love a Leica and a Hassy but I really want a large format now...
    There is a really slippery slope...

They have tried to isolated them on their own web site (Large Format Photography Forum), but I see many escape to here too!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, a Rolleiflex is definitely high on the list. I feel like I should just wait and get a 2.8 when I get the funds together instead of settling on the 3.5 series...
    www.photique.posterous.com - dedicated film and vintage camera blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I can understand the interest in collecting cameras (and most other things!) and I've one or two which I keep just for the fun of it. Otherwise I now try to restrict myself to gear which I will really use.

OTOH, I was fascinated by sub-min Minox as a kid, and bought three cameras and all the bits-and-pieces about 10 years ago. I've realised since that it was a rather expensive mistake, as I've never had time to use them....as I get older, it seems I've hardly enough spare time to keep up (and work on improving!) my 35mm, and occasional 120, shooting!
    I only keep the equipment I use regularly too,when my children were young I read a lot of child psychology books and apparently the collecting urge is caused by too early toilet training in childhood.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I must have been toilet trained by the age of six months then.... I've got a decent if small collection of vintage images (mostly daguerreotypes, tintypes and CDVs, with the odd albumen print tossed in for good measure), more camera stuff than I ought to (cameras range from 35mm and compact digital to 14x17 with most sizes in between represented (35mm rangefinder, 35mm slr, 2 1/4 square, 2 1/4 x 2 3/4, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, 4x5, 5x7, 5x12, 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, 8x10, 11x14, 12x15, 14x17) and multiple lenses for each), a library of 1800+ books, and I used to collect coins and pens too.

In the camera collection department, I've got a jones on for a Nikon F with the non-metered prism. It's just such a classic, elegant-looking camera. Either that or a Canon F-1 (not the F-1N, which although a much more useful camera, is a lot uglier). I'd also like to get my 12x15 restored so it is workable - it has most of the required bits and pieces, but needs first and foremost a new bellows, and then some film holders to go with it.

To skip back a thought or two, while Mr. Lyga is entitled to his opinion about 35mm film, I would wholeheartedly disagree with his assessment of medium format. I've dragged my Hasselblad outfit (4 lenses- 50, 80, 120 and a Superwide, three backs, 500C/M body, meter, and film) across Spain and had no problems shooting hand-held and getting great shots. Even with faster films (mostly shooting Bergger BPF200 for b/w, Fuji Reala and NPH for color) I had wonderful enlargements - I've taken some of them up to 16x16 and grain is still imperceptible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleicord which is my favorite camera I own. I would love a Flex though...
    I have both---the 'cord was my childhood camera, and a few years ago my dad gave me his 'flex (2.8C) since he'd converted fully to digital. The two cameras are more similar than different in use, I'd say; the three big differences are crank vs. knob advance, brightness of the screen, and of course the taking lenses.

What's telling is that I haven't quit using the Rolleicord. The theoretically inferior Xenar lens has a certain warmth and I find myself reaching for it regularly for that reason; the Planar on the Rolleiflex is of course just absurdly sharp and contrasty and all that, but can get a little bit "clinical" in black and white. Bottom line: two incredibly great cameras.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I have both---the 'cord was my childhood camera, and a few years ago my dad gave me his 'flex (2.8C) since he'd converted fully to digital. The two cameras are more similar than different in use, I'd say; the three big differences are crank vs. knob advance, brightness of the screen, and of course the taking lenses.

What's telling is that I haven't quit using the Rolleicord. The theoretically inferior Xenar lens has a certain warmth and I find myself reaching for it regularly for that reason; the Planar on the Rolleiflex is of course just absurdly sharp and contrasty and all that, but can get a little bit "clinical" in black and white. Bottom line: two incredibly great cameras.

-NT
    The Tessar in the older Rollei Automats is a wonderful lens, not as sharp as the Planar, but it has its own quality and charm. Mine seems to have its own signature different from any of my other TLRs' - Mamiyas which have pretty much been relegated to the shelf since I acquired this old Rollei.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    And a medium format transparency is mind blowing...but I really want a large format now...
    You should see an 8x10 transparency. Then you'd REALLY want a LF.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So true. Nothing quite like an 8x10 transparency. I was lucky enough to see some af Mr. Adams 8x10 Kodachromes. Good lord....

As for the Rollei quest, I have/use/love my Rollei but I do get frustrated by the fixed focal length. I think I would love a Tele-Rollei, but $$$ is not on my side right now.

As for the collections, I've got it bad, too. The "worst" is when you get a good deal on a camera and then obsess on getting every available lens for it. Not that I have ever done that or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    You should see an 8x10 transparency. Then you'd REALLY want a LF.

Ed
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm pretty good in this regard. Maybe it's because I don't have the money to justify it, but I only ever have 1 camera per format. I can't really get attached to any more and just feel bad having stuff sitting around not being used. Then again I do seem to rotate that one camera per format more often than I probably should. Maybe one day I'll find that silver bullet…

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin