Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,091   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

This addiction is consuming me!...

Ever since I picked up that Box Brownie in an antique store 4 years ago, I can't stop looking for cameras of interest in every antique/collectable store I pass...

Now owning just under 30 beautiful (to me) cameras, I can't get the idea of owning a Rolleiflex out of my mind. Even though I shoot with my Mamiya c330s with a full kit, I still very badly want a Rolleiflex.

Anyone else battling with similiar urges? (i bet you all are!)
    www.photique.posterous.com - dedicated film and vintage camera blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a big glass display case full of cameras I love for various reasons. Sometimes I get an odd one out and shoot some photos. My latest is a Pionyr - a plastic camera from Czechoslovakia with a very unique lens mount.
    Nothing wrong with this addiction so far as I'm concerned, and my Wife doesn't mind either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pionyr.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had the same urge about the Rolleiflex until I bought mine. The quality, the history, the beauty, everything about owning a Rolleiflex is up to its legendary status. Just looking at Vivian Maier's work is an inspiration to use the Rolleiflex for me. I'd say it's a well founded urge. Next, Leica and Hasselblad...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just like everyone should have a Box Brownie or ten, you should also have a Rolleiflex before you die. Give in to your instincts and grab a Rollei, even the old ones are cool if you can't afford that 3.5F. I'm no longer battling my urges, I think I have them all!

Shooter
    35mm
    The addiction mentality is understood by David Lyga who owns over 600 (six hundred) cameras, all 35mm. 'Nuff said about obsessions.

Let my warn you about something that just might assuage your lust for Rollei 120. Back in 1966, when I was 16, I was allowed to buy my first 'real' camera: a Minolta Autocord CDS brand new. I wanted the larger negative because 35mm was too inferior for me. I got beautiful prints but using the twin lens camera was not really easy (focusing, etc). But I was terribly naive and, besides, I was 'ahead' of the rest because of my huge negative. This mentality persisted until about 1976 when I took a close look at a friend's 35mm 8 X 10 print and was astounded with the quality. I bought a Canon AE-1 in 1978 and I can honestly say without reservation that the smaller format gave higher quality results. Why?

Certainly, the larger negative holds the potential for greater enlargability. But that is theory, not always practice. If you use slow film, have the camera upon a tripod, and work slowly, yes, in most cases. But what many fail to acknowledge is the fact that using a larger format necessitates using a higher f stop. A 'normal' lens on a medium format is about 80mm. This medium format's normal lens must be stopped down to, say, f8 in order to have the same depth of field as with a 35mm camera's 50mm 'normal' lens stopped down to merely f4. Thus, all things equal, one would have to use Tri-X with medium format to achieve the same flexibility as with using Plus-X on 35mm.

As far as I am concerned, using fast (ISO 400) film with medium format is counterproductive because the same enlargability can be achieved with using an ISO 100 film with 35mm. The only time there is a (potential) decided advantage with medium format is in using slow film (Pan F) in medium format. Doing so prevents 35mm from being able to match the quality because you are not going to find slower film than Pan F for normal usage. That is why I am solely a 35mm guy: the quality and precision are very advanced.

I am not trying to splash water upon noble desires, just trying to present the whole picture that sometimes is elbowed out by the romance of holding the larger negatve.- David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 07-20-2011 at 07:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've lost count on my collection....I like to use as many as I can, not just display them but they are lovely (and yes, I have a flex and a cord) I just recently shot with the rolleicord and waiting for the processed film to come back home (I don't do my own when color)....
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    35mm RF
    GAS.... (Gear Aquisition Syndrome), my wife says I got it baddd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am still looking for an awesome cheap find of a graflex 4x5 camera. Until I have enough money to buy it at the prices they go for nowadays. But browsing through second hand shops or antique markets as fun when you have a purpose.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Hasselblad satisfies my aesthetics, my ear, and my hands... and it is useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex 2.8 which I got from my father after he passed away a number of years ago. It is a really great camera! Love those old cameras.

Jeff

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin