Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,512   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My response to seeing 120 chromes was to wonder what 8x10 chromes would look like. My shoulders gave the rest of my mind a *whack* at the thought of carrying an 8x10, so I've stuck with the light table and loupe route.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

So true

Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Hmmmm, and when you decide to buy an enlarger, be sure it's capable of using 4x5 negatives...once you play with larger negatives, you'll want bigger negatives...

Yep, so true! Except in my case, I went the opposite direction, started in 35, went to 4x5 then to 120.

As for enlargers, I just bought an Omega Super Chromega-D Dichroic enlarger, and will be getting into printing my own color prints. I'm keeping my Omega D-III and Omega B-22 enlargers as well.

Just wait till you make the switch to Zeiss lenses!!! You'll want to go back and re-shoot EVERYTHING!! : )

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Hmmmm, and when you decide to buy an enlarger, be sure it's capable of using 4x5 negatives...once you play with larger negatives, you'll want bigger negatives...
    for that matter you should skip the enlarger and get yourself an 8x10 view camera; that's where you'll end up I assure you!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I definetely know what people are saying here. I started with 35mm, and worked with it for awhile, until I discovered an old 120 camera, which I loaded up and shot a roll in. I was impressed by the amazing quality from a 1950s Ansco Viking 4.5 loaded with TMax (ick) film. I've since shot many rolls of 120, and, now that I've gotten some 4x5 film, I'm ready to drop some cash on a 4x5 camera. Let's hope that I never see a 5x7 or 8x10 neg., or I'll want one of those, too ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was your age when I bought my first enlarger (brand new Beseler 23C XL). The enlarger still works as new 30 years later and will probably make it through the next ice-age! With that enlarger I made prints in bathrooms, closets, bedrooms, and a few other places. A darkroom doesn't have to take up much space or have a direct water supply (although that's nice). Having film processed and prints made by labs costs more today than ever with B/W prints costing more than color prints. You could learn basic B/W
    printing in a day and be making decent prints in no time. You could save a whole lot of money and have a blast at the same time.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lovely aren't they?

My first 6x6 folder has invited friends round over the past year or so, so now we have 6x6 and 6x9 folders, and a MF SLR and a 9x12cm and a 5x4".... Good job 10x8 film is expensive and the cameras heavy!

Seeing your first roll of MF slides is truely a wonderful experience!

When I load one of my 35mm cameras I can't help thinking how tiny that negative looks

Shooter
    Multi Format

Worried

Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    My response to seeing 120 chromes was to wonder what 8x10 chromes would look like. My shoulders gave the rest of my mind a *whack* at the thought of carrying an 8x10, so I've stuck with the light table and loupe route.
    It's not so much what the 8x10 slides would look like, what worries me is what would the projector look like ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    Last spring I bought my first medium format camera. It was used, so I shot a roll of film and sent it off to make sure it was working... didn't yet have the right sized reels. Boy, they really blew me away when they came back. And it wasn't much of a photo! Now I've processed about thirty rolls, and each time I open the tank it's exciting! Good luck with it.
    Now you know how I feel everytime I see a 4x5 transparency on the light table ............... it blows your mind.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Getting a 4x5"-capable enlarger for printing MF negatives is - dangerous.

I was very happy for very many years with my Opemus 6 enlarger, which goes up to 6x6 negatives. If I had had a 4x5" enlarger, I would have started LF a lot earlier - and would I then have bought a 5x7" enlarger? Would I have been happy without one? Could I fit a 12x16" enlarger into my darkroom? Do I need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    It's not so much what the 8x10 slides would look like, what worries me is what would the projector look like ?
    Ever see an overhead projector?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never thaught of that Ole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin