Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,540   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Got my first 120 film back this morning.

Wow! (is there anymore than needs to be said?)

Granted, all the photos were taken in my rather un-inspiring backyard just to test things out, but the quality and detail is absolutly astounding! My digital camera is suddenly being pushed well back into the wardrobe!

Now I feel I'm ready to move on to developing my own B&W film to save time and cost. Now comes the time to open up the wallet again, then to stock up on film, and to buy a decent quality scanner!

This sure is an expensive, but rewarding hobby!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris. Glad you're happy with the first shots. I think you'll find that when you start doing your own processing that you will reap more benefits than just a savings in time and cost. True, you will save money by doing your own developing and printing and you can get things done as fast as you want, but the main benefit is the quality of your prints when you do them yourself. You get to choose the film developer for your style and you pick the type of paper for your prints. Any interpretation you have in mind is yours to create. It's a gas. Go for it!
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep, that's right. If you think it's a great feeling getting your 120 film back from somebody else, just wait until you can do it all yourself. It's all about having control and doing it exactly the way you want it done. And congratulations on your first 120 shots, too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had my first two rolls of 120 processed without prints, so that I could see how badly I screwed up without forking over cash for prints. I was reasonably pleased (with my untrained eye) with the appearance of the negatives.

I selected a few of the shots that I thought went well and ordered prints; they show up tomarrow. I can't wait to check them out.

I have just a few more minor aquisitions to make to get my darkroom up an running. Then, I'm hoping, the real fun begins...
    Fixer scented Glade; for those that just can't leave the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last spring I bought my first medium format camera. It was used, so I shot a roll of film and sent it off to make sure it was working... didn't yet have the right sized reels. Boy, they really blew me away when they came back. And it wasn't much of a photo! Now I've processed about thirty rolls, and each time I open the tank it's exciting! Good luck with it.

Chris
    Forget the scanner, buy an enlarger.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto to what Sergio said... an enlarger is soooooo much more fun!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio caetano
    Chris
    Forget the scanner, buy an enlarger.
    To be honest, I've definatly toyed alot with the idea. But I'm currently 20, and still living at home. I'm borderline ready to move out, so I don't want to have the hassle of having to either A. set up a darkroom here, only to have to tear it all down again when I move out, or B. have to worry about darkrooms when I do move out. And it could be a hassle should I decide to move off-shore too.

When I eventually buy my own place, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll have a darkroom in it somewhere, but right now I think the versatile and space friendly option of a good scanner would better suit my needs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hmmmm, and when you decide to buy an enlarger, be sure it's capable of using 4x5 negatives...once you play with larger negatives, you'll want bigger negatives...

Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    Wow! (is there anymore than needs to be said?)

Granted, all the photos were taken in my rather un-inspiring backyard just to test things out, but the quality and detail is absolutly astounding! My digital camera is suddenly being pushed well back into the wardrobe!

Now I feel I'm ready to move on to developing my own B&W film to save time and cost. Now comes the time to open up the wallet again, then to stock up on film, and to buy a decent quality scanner!

This sure is an expensive, but rewarding hobby!
    Just wait until you see your first roll of chromes. You'll be looking for a projector REAL fast... ($$$)
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin