Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,129   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Dropped off 2 rolls of Fuji 120 Provia at Wal-Mart. Ten days later I picked them up. Perfect job by Fuji...sleeved and rolled uncut...protected by a sturdy red cardboard tube.
    Cost $4.88 each.
    Any special info you wrote on the envelope? Did you mention on the envelope whether or not you wanted prints?

I'm interested in doing this, but don't need prints and want it as cheap as possible. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone actually paid less when he neglected to deny prints. So he got prints, but it was cheaper.

I'm just trying to do this cheap.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I write in the special instructions box, "3x3 prints". It's always been less than two dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    Any special info you wrote on the envelope? Did you mention on the envelope whether or not you wanted prints?

I'm interested in doing this, but don't need prints and want it as cheap as possible. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone actually paid less when he neglected to deny prints. So he got prints, but it was cheaper.

I'm just trying to do this cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is E-6 slide film we're talking about....not C-41 negative film.
    Don't write anything on the envelope having to do with prints.
    That just confuses the lab and the Wal-Mart counter people.
    They are confused enough without our help.
    I just wrote on the envelope: "E-6 Slide Film. Do Not Cut."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As B&W i do that at home, but for color i must use the lab as i don't have the color kit chemicals and i don't think i can get it at all, so should i give up the color film photography?

We have only 1 lab who process all the films in the entire UAE [i think some darkrooms in houses or colleges do that for academic purpose only and not for public or commercial, but i swear they are no more than 2 or 3 in whole my country], and the lab charging about $8 dollars for transparency from 35mm up to 4x5 per film only developing, they charge the same for scan any as well, so $16 dollars for slides dev/scan, and the negs [B&W/color] cost about $5.4 dev only from 35mm up to 4x5, the 8x10 is double of the previous prices, now what i have to do to decrease the expense of color developing when i can't have the chemicals to do at home?!!!

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hidesert View Post
    I write in the special instructions box, "3x3 prints". It's always been less than two dollars.
    I'll keep this in mind when/if I take C-41 to Wal-Mart. Thanks. Local lab does C-41, but I'm not sure if they'll do 120 slide as well.

Hence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    Don't write anything on the envelope having to do with prints.
    That just confuses the lab and the Wal-Mart counter people.
    They are confused enough without our help.
    I just wrote on the envelope: "E-6 Slide Film. Do Not Cut."
    Awesome. Thank you very much as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    As B&W i do that at home, but for color i must use the lab as i don't have the color kit chemicals and i don't think i can get it at all, so should i give up the color film photography?

...now what i have to do to decrease the expense of color developing when i can't have the chemicals to do at home?!!!
    Are you prevented from having the color chemicals by regulatory restrictions, i.e. their possession is illegal? Or is is merely difficult to acquire them where you live?

Your profile says UAE, and that's a modern country with good infrastructure. Of course, the demand for color photo chemicals may so low that there's no place to get them. And international shipping might be prohibitively expensive.

If you can home brew chemicals I know there were some recipes for color work going around a few years ago. But I don't know if anyone has ever nailed down a cookbook set that can be used to get professional quality results.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    You guys are lucky. Last time I presented a roll of 120 for processing to the clerk at the "photo counter" at Walmart, she just looked at me like I was from outer space or something. I'm exaggerating...but, only slightly. I've dropped the last few rolls of family snapshot (35mm) at walgreens but they do such a horrible job, I guess I'd rather not even bother. The clerk at walgreens at least knew what 120 film was but...they claimed that their machine wouldn't/couldn't do it (which I'm pretty sure is BS).

Wish there were someplace local to have my family snaps processed.
    It most likely was NOT BS. A different carrier is necessary for a processing machine to transport 120 film.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Are you prevented from having the color chemicals by regulatory restrictions, i.e. their possession is illegal? Or is is merely difficult to acquire them where you live?

Your profile says UAE, and that's a modern country with good infrastructure. Of course, the demand for color photo chemicals may so low that there's no place to get them. And international shipping might be prohibitively expensive.

If you can home brew chemicals I know there were some recipes for color work going around a few years ago. But I don't know if anyone has ever nailed down a cookbook set that can be used to get professional quality results.
    Checking online i use only or mainly 2 stores for buying films and chemicals, both have the color kit as ORMD or that they are not shipped out of USA, and USPS don't ship chemicals to us, also Aramex who ship items from USA to us don't ship chemicals, i have to check many websites to see who has those color film chemicals [C41/E6] they can ship it to me, and who knows how much it will cost to ship to UAE, doesn't matter we are modern, it doesn't mean we have everything and anything, i still didn't see items i found in Europe or USA available here in my country, film is no such markets in my country, about less than 10% or even less than 5% using film maybe [they shoot 35mm mostly, 1 or 2 kind of films] i have to do a statistics, i have a friend who shoot film a lot and he will know the places in UAE if available, he told me i didn't film film here or there, maybe about very few film i could find which are expired or no longer available by manufacturers with very low quantity, so we all buy films or chemicals online which kills our budget same as digit.. stuff, when i was in USA for 4 weeks as vacation i could manage to go back home with a bag full of films, i could buy chemicals as well and carry it, so how can i support film if it will be that much difficult to get and expensive to ship more often?!!!

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the local Rite-Aid for processing, they are a Fuji shop, and as others have said it goes to Dwain's if it is E-6. They do C-41 in house and they do a nice job of processing, scanning, and printing C-41.

Something I have found strange is that they only do some services that Dwain's offers like E-6 process and mount or do not mount 120 or 35mm. They will not do Super 8 and if you want scans of slides they don't do that either. I have been told that it has something to do with the contract that Fuji has with Dwain's, honestly it doesn't bother me, they do nice work and I like to project my slides anyway. I can do E-6 at home, but I hate mounting slides myself.

B&W I process at home, it's just easier and way faster, people are always amazed when I take their photo soon after they arrive at my home and hand them a print before they leave without ever leaving the house.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It most likely was NOT BS. A different carrier is necessary for a processing machine to transport 120 film.
    No, it is kind of BS. They don't need the 120 transport because they don't develop the "send out stuff" in the store. My local store sends it to a Fuji lab that is set up for 120. I have tried to talk to the clerks in the store and it's usually a waste of time. Just write "SEND OUT, E-6 120 SLIDES, DO NOT CUT" something like that then drop it in the slot and walk a way. Hope that helps. It works and is a true bargain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin