Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,189   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What issues could arise if a camera has been sitting untouched for 9 years?

Im in negotiations with a seller about a Mamiya 7ii that is brand new but has been sitting untouched for 9 years. According to the serial number the camera was manufactured in 2002. The camera has never seen a roll of film in its life but im concerned about what to expect. Could the shutter and apt be dried up and need a cla?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has a battery been left in the camera? Check for corrosion.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ditto on the battery check. I'd budget for a checkover/clean lube and check...there might be no issues or there could be issues. Much depends on how and where it was stored.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt... according to the seller there has never been a battery installed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, idleness is the absolute worst thing you can inflict on a piece of quality machinery. Any piece of equiptment will sieze up with disuse. Just let an auto engine sit without running for a few years and then crank it over--usually the rings are stuck to the cylander walls and torn to shreds. Rubber dryrots, lubricants dry up, and the list goes on. Bellows left folded in one position could crack on first use. Electronics could be dead. I recently purchased a flash, brand new un-opened in box. It went up in smoke first time I switched it on.

In other words, I don't think it is worth half price. But that is just one mans opinion.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nine years isn't a particularly long time, when it comes to cameras.

My concern would be that if I was considering it, I would be tempted to test it myself, whereas it would probably be more prudent to have it first looked at by an experienced camera repair technician.

I'd be willing to bet that there are still a significant number of unused cameras that have been sitting in camera store storage areas since 2002.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Mamiya 7ii probably has pretty modern lubricants. I doubt you will have any problems with lubricants drying up. I wouldn't worry about it too much- the less use the camera had the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    A Mamiya 7ii probably has pretty modern lubricants. I doubt you will have any problems with lubricants drying up. I wouldn't worry about it too much- the less use the camera had the better.
    HUH? cameras like anything else need to stored properly. If it were stored in a damp cellar or a hot attic for 9yrs I would have a problem with that. Fine cigars or even a fine wine need to stored properly the same is true with camera if they are going to sit idle for an extended period of time.

The camera needs to be checked out by a tech or a very knowledgeable photographer.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    Im Could the shutter and apt be dried up and need a cla?
    The shutter and aperture are in the lens. Does it have one with the kit? You will want at some point to add lenses, so even if the lens needs a cla they are easy to find. The shutters are electronic and likely to be OK.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Agree. Silicone-based lubricants won't be gummy or dry after a decade. The penchant for pre-emptive CLAs without ever running a roll thru a NOS 2002-vintage camera is a bit of an urban legend. Maybe on a 70s Minolta but on a new Mamiya 7 II? Metering glitches or lens shutter abnormailities are possible but unlikely issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin