Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,057   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Develop & scan in the UK

Hi

Which labs are people using and can recommend for a C41 develop & scan service for MF in the UK? For 35mm I use photo-express in Hull which is £4.50 / film scanned at approx 6Mp (3000x2000) and their quality is really great, but they don't do MF. I am looking for a reasonable cost service with at least 3000x3000 scan size. I have tried a couple, but haven't been particularly excited by the cost/quality.

And, please no suggestions about creating a darkroom. Its not an option for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've heard good things about Peak Imaging over in Sheffield, but have never used them myself. About £16 for 120 gets you dev & scan, 24.8Mb TIFF files.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For scanning I tried Peak (I use them for all my processing), Bayeux plus a couple of other places. Generally, unless you are prepared to spend £££ you are not going to get that good a quality. The Peak scans were good but not £16 good, although that was a couple of years back so things may have changed.

Generally, the most cost-effective way is to get your own scanner for the basic stuff and if you want something done really well then send just that frame. Unless of course you have the money and shoot low volume.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I generally go dev only (Jessops if I'm impateient, a local indpenedent if I can wait) and scan myself (Epson V500). No darkroom required, and you can always send off that special negative to be drum-scanned when required.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi

thanks for the replies so far.

I am not interested in scanning myself. For 35mm I get a great service at a very competitive price, and I am looking for a similar service for MF. The reason I shoot film is it works for me - I like taking pictures, I like the discipline film entails, and I like using older equipment, but I have no interest in either spending hours in a dark room or fiddling with computers; I want to send the films off, get them back, send most to my family, and perhaps do something a bit better with one or two of the best images. So, I am looking for a good, but not professional dev & scan service at a reasonable cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I'll be very interested to find out myself where I can get good 120 scans because so far from what I've seen, anything less than £15/roll is not really worth it and at £15/roll, the 100+ rolls I shoot a year mean only one thing: scan myself or give it up.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    35mm
    Bayeux is just too expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can get dev and scan locally for c. £7/roll at a very reasonable quality of scan for general printing and sharing, more than good enough for emailing to family.. but no 6x9, which I like to shoot on old folders. It's a local independent who occasionally shoots MF himself and might fire up the developing machine twice a week (or not at all). Not much use to you.. but if that's all you're looking for you might spend a week touring round the last of the side street independents in your area (if there still are any).

I have been reliably told that Jessops could do dev and scan/print of 120 in-store if your local store was provided with the correct masks for their scanner. But for commercial reasons they view this as a "professional" service and so do not provide the correct masks to smaller stores.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see you are Lancashire based. I live in Manchester and use Advanced Photo on John Dalton off Deans Gate for my 120 Processing. He does very high res scan and Dev for £10.99 which is fair being the only place in town. He will even cross process for an extra £2.

Regards
    Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Chris

They sound interesting. What do you call high res? £10.99 sounds about what I wanted to pay. I'll probably give them a try.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin