Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,669   Online: 899

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica LM vs Mamiya RB

Hello all.........I'm new here on APUG, and I'm new to MF photography. I have a Yashica LM and have used it a couple of times. My problem with it is composing and focusing with the waist level finder. It's dim and not easy (for me) to keep the camera oriented with what I want to photograph. I am planning to buy a Mamiya RB67 and would like to know whether or not I could expect that waist level finder to be any brighter than the Yashica. Also, would a RB with a prism finder help with either of these issues? The maximum aperture on both lenses would be about the same, but the RB looks to be a bigger lens. (yashica 80 3.2 : RB 127 3.8) I would much appreciate any advice you might share with me. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about the Yashica LM but the I have the RB67 with the prism finder which does pretty good by me.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's an excellent chance that the mirror and screen and lens on your 50 year-old Yashica needs replacement or cleaning. Installing a new mirror easy and you can get one here- http://www.uscamera.com/yashicatlr1005.htm Four screws hold down the focus hood. Over a towel or such to catch any screws that drop, remove them. Pull the hood up. The bottom of the focus screen is plastic, so use a plastic cleaner. The top surface is glass. Be careful about getting liquid running into the edges and between the two sheets. While the hood is off, clean the back of the viewing lens. It will have decades of evaporated grease crud on it.

With all that said, the RB screen is going to be easier to use. Yashica has a very good quality viewing screen, but the Mamiya is a step up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much Dan.........I would have never guessed that cleaning or replacing the mirror would be so easy. I'll take a look at it right away. I'll probably go ahead with buying an RB........but now I'll feel much better about buying a camera I have no experience with. Thanks again

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To remove the mirror in the Yashicas, simply slide it up. There is a metal clip on the back/top, thin metal about a cm wide. I use something like a toothpick to hold the clip down. Then push up from the bottom- I use a wooden chopstick from take-out. Try to avoid touching the front of the mirror, in case you want to reinstall it.

Cleaning the front-surface mirrors on TLRs is something that I haven't had much luck with. I'd search here for others' suggestions.

To reinstall- DO NOT touch the front! I wear a plastic glove on the hand that will handle the mirror, and hold only by edges, upper sides (no powder on glove). I use a cotton swab or a chopstick with a kimwite taped on the end for pushing the bottom edge into the groove.

The grooves that establish the mirror location are cast into the body- no adjustment even possible. With the spring on the back and the front surface mirror riding against the upper surfaces of the grooves, focus should not shift at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never clean an old mirror with alcohol, it'll turn blue.

To clean the mirror n focusing screen is very easy to do, 4 screws hold the top on.

Take a look at the pics, it'll give you an idea of what you'll see when you take the top off...

http://www.davidrichert.com/Yashica%...4ReBuild65.JPG

http://www.davidrichert.com/Yashica%...4ReBuild67.JPG
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Never clean an old mirror with alcohol, it'll turn blue.

To clean the mirror n focusing screen is very easy to do, 4 screws hold the top on.

Take a look at the pics, it'll give you an idea of what you'll see when you take the top off...

http://www.davidrichert.com/Yashica%...4ReBuild65.JPG

http://www.davidrichert.com/Yashica%...4ReBuild67.JPG
    Hope his tetanus shots were up to date when he handled that relic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HAHAHA LOL shots are up to date.

That's what they look like when you get em for $25 n have to do a complete overhaul.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took the top off and cleaned things up. The mirror had quite a bit of dust and other stuff on it. It's certainly better than it was. Thanks again for the info and cleaning tips.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin