Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,683   Posts: 1,669,366   Online: 736

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I would love to be able to shoot 6x6 but it seems like there isnt many hand held cameras that shoot that. But then again I dont know as much as some of you. I would love to get an SLR as I have no idea how a rangefinder works but from my understanding sometimes the framing isnt the same as what you see through it and that just sounds like it could be a problem. Ive been checking out the FUJI GA645 but again it doesnt shoot 6x6 to bad they dont just have a version that shoots that instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya 6 is a rangefinder that shoots 6x6, if you want to give RF a try. Also Bessa iii can switch 6x6 and 6x7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to shoot 6x6 handheld, then TLRs are the answer! Yes, they're pretty different from an SLR and they take some getting used to, but once you do it's the greatest shooting experience. Like you, I shot mostly with my Nikon FE for a little while before jumping into the MF game. I first shot with a borrowed Mamiya C-220, then got my own C-33. After a short time, I grew to love the TLR and had tons of fun shooting. I did dislike the bulk of the Mamiya and sold it, now I own a Yashica Mat and a Rolleicord and I couldn't be happier. I seriously urge you to look into a TLR if you want a portable 6x6 camera to shoot handheld stuff (as long as you don't need macro or something like that).

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    what John Wiegerink said about M645 1000s + CDs prism.

Shooter
    35mm
    @DRPAIN

IS the TLR systems you recommended pretty handheld. Or could I get like a "Grip" for it or is it better to just hold from beneath and work that way. Also Im assuming you can put a strap to hold it from your neck for support right? Sorry im super new to this so those are pretty basic questions i know. Also do they just have a fixed lens or are there other lens's that you could add on. I dont need anything large more like a 50mm equivalent.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Marin View Post
    @DRPAIN

IS the TLR systems you recommended pretty handheld. Or could I get like a "Grip" for it or is it better to just hold from beneath and work that way. Also Im assuming you can put a strap to hold it from your neck for support right? Sorry im super new to this so those are pretty basic questions i know. Also do they just have a fixed lens or are there other lens's that you could add on. I dont need anything large more like a 50mm equivalent.
    TLRs are almost all pretty light. Most of them have fixed lenses that will give you pretty much a 50mm equivalent. Some of them (most well known is the Mamiya C330) have interchangeable lenses. You can (and probably should) attach a strap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would love to be able to shoot 6x6 but it seems like there isnt many hand held cameras that shoot that. But then again I dont know as much as some of you. I would love to get an SLR as I have no idea how a rangefinder works but from my understanding sometimes the framing isnt the same as what you see through it and that just sounds like it could be a problem. Ive been checking out the FUJI GA645 but again it doesnt shoot 6x6 to bad they dont just have a version that shoots that instead.
    6x6 handheld? Apart from the TLRs what's wrong with a Bronica SQ or Hasselblad 500 series? They are 6x6, can be fitted with prism/grip and I've been doing fine using these handheld.

One thing you need to realise is that you are never going to shoot a medium format camera (maybe a 645...) like you do a 35mm SLR. You just don't, it comes naturally the way the camera operates and you end up framing/focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really want to start shooting medium format but I feel like this is a whole different ball park from my 35mm experiences. I currently have a Nikon FE. Is there any Medium Format camera out there that has similar features to my FE? As in metering and mostly manual operation? Any other suggestions as to a easy to use and quality MF camera would be great too. Thanks!
    A switch from 35 to medium format embodies more than the change in format--there is a change in how you visualize and how you shoot. An FE with a motor drive will dictate a shooting style which is radically different from a MF camera. I've been shooting 6x6, 6x4.5 and 6x7 for several years and I find that with the larger medium I tend to be more deliberate and more painstaking in setting up the final shot. I still shoot with my 35mm (SLR's rarely, more often with a Leica). My first medium format was a Mamiya 645 which was purchased many years ago, which I still have and still shoot. Even though I have a prism for it, I find that I'm happier composing with a waist level finder. That's more indicative of my personal preference, but medium format SLR and TLR cameras tend to function better in that mode. Rangefinder M/F's will give you a faster shooting style that might be more to your preference and will probably give you a smoother transition to this format. The Bronica 645 RF and the Fuji 645zi (the autofocus zoom model) would be a good starting point because of their speed and eye level viewing. Welcome to the diverse world of Medium Format!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jaime,

Why do you want to change?

And

What are "the defects/problems" you have found with your 35mm results that you are trying to fix?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The FE was the replacement for the budget Nikkormat line. It had Aperture Priority AE and match needle, a 1/125 flash sync (which was pretty fast in its day). I don't recall that it had spot metering or Advanced Multi-Pattern or TTL flash metering.

Most any medium format camera with an AE prism from the past 3 decades will have greater sophistication. Caveat being all but the Contax will have a slower flash sync when used with non-leaf shutter lenses. If that's important to you, leaf shutter lenses of any brand flash sync at all available speeds. But later Bronicas (SQs, ETRSi) also have OTF/TTL flash metering (even w/o AE prisms) and leaf shutters in all their lenses (503 CX Hassies also feature this, I think? But I mention the Broni because the bare bodies and lenses are almost being given away. Broni metering prisms are expensive, however).

I got into MF several years ago (following several decades of 135 format use exclusively) with a Pentax 645N and a manual focus SMC-A 35mm f/3.5. This particular lens was the reason for my format jump and for which brand I chose. The particular niche that MF fills for me is less distorting ultrawide angle views. So this is the only MF lens I've got; it's worthy of legendary status. I don't need to make MF do it all as I have other formats that cover the other niches better, at least this is so for me. The Pentax 645N is extraordinarily ergonomic in use, has a simple yet elegant interface, and is one of the most transparent-to-the-picture-taking-process cameras imaginable. Mirror lockup is not needed as the mirror is extremely well damped so if you decide to go this route, you can safely ignore the P645NII at double the price.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin