Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,448   Online: 928
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks, NY
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    65
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I ordered the filter from B&H just a few weeks ago, so I'll have to give them a call and see if it's still under warranty or anything. As for the glue, it had the consistency of rubber cement when it came off. There is no type of retaining ring or anything else holding it in place. I'll give B&H a call and see where that gets me, if they can't help I'll try Schneider Optics next.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    663

    Remain steadfast

    Don't cave. You're the wronged party here. Their product failed, pure and simple.

  3. #13
    resummerfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Don't cave. You're the wronged party here. Their product failed, pure and simple.
    +1
    —Eric

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    26
    I'm looking at a B+W Bay II UV filter that I recently purchased from B&H. There is threading for a retaining ring in front of the glass, but no ring. I wonder if they may a bad bunch in which they forgot to install the ring?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    69
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc2edh View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far! I ordered the filter from B&H just a few weeks ago, so I'll have to give them a call and see if it's still under warranty or anything.
    I'm sure that's all you'll need to do. Assuming there is no evidence of the filter being dropped or whatever they'll do right by you.

    Good luck!

  6. #16
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtaylor_sea View Post
    I'm looking at a B+W Bay II UV filter that I recently purchased from B&H. There is threading for a retaining ring in front of the glass, but no ring. I wonder if they may a bad bunch in which they forgot to install the ring?
    That's how three of mine appear as well....
    K.S. Klain

  7. #17
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,944
    Images
    60
    As I understand it, there are counterfeit B & W filters out there. Was the OP's filter grey market by any chance?
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    123
    Well, after all the fuss here, I was reminded that I had recently purchased a B+W Bay-III Yellow filter from B&H. It had to be special ordered and took a long time; it cost a bunch, too. The front is threaded still, but the filter element is, as previously described, glued in with what looks like silicone bathtub calking compound and there is no retaining ring. It must be an experiment in cutting production costs or something.
    Geo.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    26
    I looked at my other filters. My bay I B+W UV filters have retaining rings while my bay I yellow-orange filter, which I just recently purchased, does not. None of my bay II B+W filters, all of which were purchased relatively recently, have a retaining ring. Looks like B+W is cutting costs. I find it very disappointing as I used to think that B+W filters were the best out there.

  10. #20
    M.A.Longmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,857
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtaylor_sea View Post
    I looked at my other filters. My bay I B+W UV filters have retaining rings while my bay I yellow-orange filter, which I just recently purchased, does not. None of my bay II B+W filters, all of which were purchased relatively recently, have a retaining ring. Looks like B+W is cutting costs. I find it very disappointing as I used to think that B+W filters were the best out there.
    .
    A German Company cutting corners ???
    I can't even comprehend that, I guess we are all accustomed to American companies cutting corners. B+W makes the best filters in this Galaxy, maybe even the entire Universe. Something strange is going on ...

    I'm assuming that these are not genuine B+W Products.
    That's the only logical explanation possible.

    Ron
    .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin