Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,120   Online: 817

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there is a valid, third option here that allows everybody to cool down.

It is probable that all of them are valid B+W filters, but that B+W inadvertently omitted the retaining rings. In other words, a simple manufacturing defect in this lot. My packaging was correct, guys. I looked at mine and it is a Bay-II instead of a Bay-III. However, when I went and checked my other Bay filters, I found that the factory markings are always on the reatining rings for these Bay series. So, if one accidentally omits the ring, the lens will fall out, there will be no factory markings, etc. In addition, the stuff that looks like bathtub caulking is likely not a glue, but a thin cushion to prevent the glass from cracking as the ring is tightened down.

Yep, I'm the guy over at photo.net

I'm going to contact B+W and see if I can get a retaining ring and install it myself. Maybe it will work and maybe it won't. In any event, B&H has an excellent customer service department.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgeobc View Post
    It is probable that all of them are valid B+W filters, but that B+W inadvertently omitted the retaining rings. In other words, a simple manufacturing defect in this lot.
    At the price differential between a real B&W filter and a knockoff I would put my money on the supply chain getting usurped. That's the simplest most likely explanation in my mind.

I would really be surprised if it is a true manufacturing defect. Manufacturing controls for stuff like this are just too simple to put in place. They're bound to already be there decades ago.

And almost assuredly all the major retail houses deal with distributors rather than manufacturers. So if the packaging is a decent counterfit how would the retailer know.

The problem for us is that the distribution channel is hidden from us, so we cannot rant at them directly. All we can do is complain to the retailer, when it really isn't their fault. They're just the poor sap left holding the bag. (And eating the expense! The counterfiter has already scooped his profit.)
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pgeobc is likely correct. It's probably a bad batch that was inadvertently sent out of the B+W factory without rings.

In retrospect, my comment about B&H possibly selling counterfeit goods was inappropriate and poorly worded. I have, and will continue to, buy most of my photographic needs from B&H. As I wrote previously, they have offered to replace the filters and are paying my shipping costs.

I certainly apologize to B&H.

Rob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtaylor_sea View Post
    Henry - I want to make it clear to everyone one this thread that I was not suggesting that B&H is knowingly selling fake filters. If anyone took my comments as such I apologize.

SNIP

Henry - I will send you my question to SK and their response.
    Thank you. I never thought you ere accusing us, and it is possible we unknowingly and unwittingly received non-kosher B+W filters. I appreciate your clarification here, your continued confidence in us and your assistance in getting to the proverbial bottom of this. No apology was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pgeobc View Post
    Yep, I'm the guy over at photo.net
    I hate to seem like the kind of guy who needs his hand held, but I just spent half an hour in photo.net's Unified Forum and their Accessories forum and cannot find this. A pointer would be appreciated. TIA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The question is, where do B & H buy their B+W filter stocks from ? if not directly from the manufacturers who say they don't make filters without retaining rings, are they being conned by their suppliers ?
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-16-2011 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd place a bet on it being an omission at B+W. There is no reason a counterfeiter would have omitted the retaining rings, especially if the ring is where the logo goes. After all they wouldn't be shy about putting a B+W logo on the box ...

I just looked at some new plain-old-52mm B+W's and they don't use front retaining rings: the 'retaining ring' at the front is one piece with the filter main ring; there is a press-in ring (? - could be screw-in but there are no notches for a wrench) at the back that retains the filter glass. It could be the Bay filters were sent out without front rings because the assembly line is now used to the front-ringless new design. I imagine Bay II/III filters are a pretty low volume item.

OTOH, I have a nagging feeling I have a filter somewhere where the glass is held in without a front ring - instead there are just three dots of glue holding it in and there is a gap between the glass and the main ring, as if something is missing. I have a memory of looking at this and thinking "How cheap can they get these days?" It can't be a Bay filter as I don't have any Bay filters.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henry--

"I hate to seem like the kind of guy who needs his hand held, but I just spent half an hour in photo.net's Unified Forum and their Accessories forum and cannot find this. A pointer would be appreciated. TIA. "

I posted it under the one listed as Filters, Bags, and Tripods (or something like that). It was moving down the list fairly fast and may be gone by now. Hope that helps.

Maybe this link will help: http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripod...s-forum/00ZAzF
    Geo.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    BH stands by there product. I would call them tell them what is going on and that you know these filters have retaining rings and yours are glued. if they don't stand by their product then they are buying knock offs and trying to sell them to us so they can make a better profit. But I have never had a problem sending anything back as long as you talk to there customer service department.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    BH stands by there product. I would call them tell them what is going on and that you know these filters have retaining rings and yours are glued. if they don't stand by their product then they are buying knock offs and trying to sell them to us so they can make a better profit. But I have never had a problem sending anything back as long as you talk to there customer service department.
    Please read the thread. It is way ahead of you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a number of B+W filters that I use with bayonet adapters and have used them that way for many years with no problems or loose glass. They all say made in Germany. I also have a couple that are 93mm and a Heliopan 93mm. I just reinspected them and all including the Heliopan are constructed the same way. I compared them to a couple of Tiffen filters and the difference is that the retaining ring for the Tiffen filters have slits for a spanner wrench. My Hasselblad bayonet filters also have the slits. Could it be that B+W makes a different attachment for the threaded and bayonet filters? Most likely they would really be the one to answer.

Since it appears that B&H will be making good on the defective filter, take advantage of their goodwill. You might consider what I do with the adapters since at least when I bought my filters some of what I wanted were not readily available in the b mount and those that were cost more.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin