Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,771   Online: 1290

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bay 1 filter glass fell out!

I recently bought a B+W Dark Red 091 filter for my Bay 1 cameras, and after taking it out on a few hot days the glass came right out of its metal ring. It was not subjected to any abuse, and looking at it carefully the glass was only attached by a thin stripe of glue around the edge. Has anyone had experience re-attaching filter glass? I'm hesitant to just superglue it in place because some glues tend to cause haze on glass. Thank you!

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked the prices for B+W filters at Freestyle. Man oh man, they are out there. If you bought your filter new I'd march right down to the vendor and demand a warantee replacement. At that price you deserve it. If that is not an option for you I would try a few dots of Gorilla Glue around the circumference. You don't want to glue the glass to the mount, you just want to keep it from falling out. I suppose you want it to be able to expand and contract without strains in the glass.

I think Super Glue type glues, cyano-acrylics, are too watery. Other than the successful temporary gluing of a broken toenail at a soccer game my entire history with super glues has been one of disappointment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No metal retaining clip? Or a threaded flange? You sure it was a B+W?

Elmer's white glue in a thin bead around the top edge? W Or just a series of glue dots on edge?on't damage glass and can be removed. Stays a bit flexible.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Funny you mention this, I just had a B+W UV filter drop it's glass clear out of the ring about 3 weeks ago. WTF mate?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Same thing recently happened to me with a Bay II B+W UV filter. It was only secured in the ring by a couple of drops of glue. I'm not really that impressed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are counterfeit B+W filters out there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would be careful using superglue on a filter. I did this once and the superglue created some kind of gas or some other film that creeped through the whole filter. It took me weeks to get it cleaned off. I have since bought a bay 1 49mm filter adapter for my tlr that I use and don't have to worry about finding bay 1 filters anymore.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monito View Post
    There are counterfeit B+W filters out there.
    Yes, but this set came directly from BH. I have 6 B+W filters and two of them seem to have this issue.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Methinks, that they might not be genuine B+W Filters.
    I just looked at my set of B+W filters, the damn things appear
    to be indestructible, or at least capable of lasting through my lifetime ...

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 08-11-2011 at 10:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a number of B+H filters and all have retaining rings. Something doesn't sound right, they are a division of Schneider Optics and are known for quality products. I would first try to get a resolution to the problem through the vendor and if not contact Schneider directly. Through the many years I have accumulated a number of filters from other mfg's and all had retaining rings. I settled on using the B+W's because the mounts are brass. The last ones I bought were from Calumet and B&H about 5 or 6 years ago and all have been problem-free.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin