Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,299   Online: 901

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I owned a GW680III ('till it was stolen!), and I really loved it and will buy a replacement one day. It is a nice modern rangefinder - comfortable to use, with a great lens. It looks fairly normal until you see it "to scale" with a 35mm camera of any description... I actually preferred it to the GF670/Bessa III because of its very manual nature and the certainty of shutter action ("click", rather than "did I actually press the shutter - I can't tell?". I would rate the lenses about the same really.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I used the GW690III quite a bit. Some thoughts to consider:

-It's not really all that portable. It feels like a giant 35mm RF and is quite cumbersome to handle at times.
    -The shutter on B/T setting does not close after 1 second, rather you must place the lens cap in front and then click the shutter shut.
    -Extremely sharp at most apertures except at f/32 I noticed it began to look quite poor.
    -It is RUGGED. I dropped it down the Grand Canyon about 400 feet with no scratches, no dents, only a broken filter.
    -If you're going to buy a GW670III, why not get a GW690III and get the extra negative space. It's the same camera, just with different masking and counter. Same size, bigger neg.
    -Lastly, consider the GF670. I finally got to handle one and it's fantastic. Small, fits in a breast pocket, meters well, and can be used on a 35mm tripod without complaint.

Just some thoughts to consider. They are great cameras nevertheless, but I figure I would share.

EDIT: I used the Mamiya Universal at the same time (funny how you ask) and can say they are similar in size and weight. Granted, the Fuji GW670/690III is lighter, but they really are quite similar in size. Seriously consider the GF670.
    I really love the 6x7 format, and 2 more frames per roll does make a difference. But thanks a lot for the information.

Shooter
    Medium Format

TALK YOU OUT OF IT???????

Hi olleorama, I'm afraid your on the wrong forum to find anyone to talk you out of it, if you want someone to do that join a di**tal group!!!! If you want to buy that camera, or indeed ANY film camera, DO IT, you'll only regret it later if you don't After all, it's a sad fact of modern life that real cameras are treated so badly by modern society, chucked in cupboards or damp basements, that you need to grab them while you can Buy it, use it, and look after it for future generations to enjoy!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I used the GW690III quite a bit. Some thoughts to consider:

-It's not really all that portable. It feels like a giant 35mm RF and is quite cumbersome to handle at times.
    -The shutter on B/T setting does not close after 1 second, rather you must place the lens cap in front and then click the shutter shut.
    -Extremely sharp at most apertures except at f/32 I noticed it began to look quite poor.
    -It is RUGGED. I dropped it down the Grand Canyon about 400 feet with no scratches, no dents, only a broken filter.
    -If you're going to buy a GW670III, why not get a GW690III and get the extra negative space. It's the same camera, just with different masking and counter. Same size, bigger neg.
    -Lastly, consider the GF670. I finally got to handle one and it's fantastic. Small, fits in a breast pocket, meters well, and can be used on a 35mm tripod without complaint.

Just some thoughts to consider. They are great cameras nevertheless, but I figure I would share.

EDIT: I used the Mamiya Universal at the same time (funny how you ask) and can say they are similar in size and weight. Granted, the Fuji GW670/690III is lighter, but they really are quite similar in size. Seriously consider the GF670.

I'd like to add to that list:

- The I and II models are every bit as good as the III, at a much lower price. The lens is exactly the same.
    - The rectangular lens hood on the I (which I have) does not allow you to use a filter at the same time. I don't know about the other models, although I have heard that the retractable hood on the III is often very loose.
    - The shutter is a quiet whisper, but the counting mechanism makes a loud CLUNK every time you release the shutter. But then again this camera isn't exactly stealth anyway.
    - The shutter syncs at all speeds (up to 1/500)
    - The 90mm 3.5 (= 39mm equivalent on 35mm cameras) lens is spectacular in every way. If you need something wider, there's also a GSW690 out there with a 65mm f5.6 which is reportedly as good as the 90mm.
    - In typical Fuji fashion, the strap lugs are both on one side. I prefer it like that, but I've heard some people complain about it.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    I'd like to add to that list:

- The I and II models are every bit as good as the III, at a much lower price. The lens is exactly the same.
    - The rectangular lens hood on the I (which I have) does not allow you to use a filter at the same time. I don't know about the other models, although I have heard that the retractable hood on the III is often very loose.
    - The shutter is a quiet whisper, but the counting mechanism makes a loud CLUNK every time you release the shutter. But then again this camera isn't exactly stealth anyway.
    - The shutter syncs at all speeds (up to 1/500)
    - The 90mm 3.5 (= 39mm equivalent on 35mm cameras) lens is spectacular in every way. If you need something wider, there's also a GSW690 out there with a 65mm f5.6 which is reportedly as good as the 90mm.
    - In typical Fuji fashion, the strap lugs are both on one side. I prefer it like that, but I've heard some people complain about it.
    Thank you sir for those nuggets. I'm getting a good deal on the mark III though. I also like the vertical strap thing, my Bessa is usually slung that way (with the trigger winder)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    400 feet down the Grand Canyon, hell I'll take 2 of them if they hold up that well. Wow
    I'll have none of that, thank you very much just the same.

If the OP really wants to be talked out of it (and I'll take it at face value that he does), consider that severely abused examples are indistinguishable from ones that have been pampered... how can you possibly know which you're getting ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
    I'll have none of that, thank you very much just the same.

If the OP really wants to be talked out of it (and I'll take it at face value that he does), consider that severely abused examples are indistinguishable from ones that have been pampered... how can you possibly know which you're getting ?
    Good question! Hmmm...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin