Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,692   Online: 1181

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Talk me out of it!

I'm thinking of buying a medium format rangefinder. One more that is. I have the mamiya super 23. Thinking of buying a fuji gw670III. I need some portability for shooting some stuff on location under time pressure. I don't think my RB67 will be the right tool. And the super 23 is just so odd looking.

How much smaller is the Fuji? Anybody used the two of them?

(Well, a lot of buying going on for me.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give in... buy the Fuji... it's a great camera... you'll be happy you did!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just do it!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Are you really worried about how the Mamiya looks? Maybe you could dress it up a bit. Put a bow on it or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Are you really worried about how the Mamiya looks? Maybe you could dress it up a bit. Put a bow on it or something.
    I don't care how it looks. But the subject often do, giving me and the observer of the photograph a strange look. A face that says "What on earth is that soul trapping contraption?"

I'd hate to sell the thing though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used the GW690III quite a bit. Some thoughts to consider:

-It's not really all that portable. It feels like a giant 35mm RF and is quite cumbersome to handle at times.
    -The shutter on B/T setting does not close after 1 second, rather you must place the lens cap in front and then click the shutter shut.
    -Extremely sharp at most apertures except at f/32 I noticed it began to look quite poor.
    -It is RUGGED. I dropped it down the Grand Canyon about 400 feet with no scratches, no dents, only a broken filter.
    -If you're going to buy a GW670III, why not get a GW690III and get the extra negative space. It's the same camera, just with different masking and counter. Same size, bigger neg.
    -Lastly, consider the GF670. I finally got to handle one and it's fantastic. Small, fits in a breast pocket, meters well, and can be used on a 35mm tripod without complaint.

Just some thoughts to consider. They are great cameras nevertheless, but I figure I would share.

EDIT: I used the Mamiya Universal at the same time (funny how you ask) and can say they are similar in size and weight. Granted, the Fuji GW670/690III is lighter, but they really are quite similar in size. Seriously consider the GF670.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seriously consider the GF670.
    Why do you torture guys like me?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    400 feet down the Grand Canyon, hell I'll take 2 of them if they hold up that well. Wow

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are interested I will be putting up for sale my Agfa Record III 6X9 folder. It isn't as rugged as the Fuji, of course, but very capable image-wise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    400 feet down the Grand Canyon, hell I'll take 2 of them if they hold up that well. Wow
    I wish I was kidding. I never actually "owned" the GW690III technically, but used it for over a year while I rebuilt the lenses for my Mamiya 23 and my Super Ikonta.

It fell down and tumbled like you couldn't believe, hitting rocks, skipping over ledges and my heart sank like no other. I climbed down to the amusement of about 30 tourist and recovered it hung up on a nice cactus patch. Not. A. Scratch. I even went to Flagstaff and had the shutter tested. Perfect.

Now that is rugged.
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin