Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,875   Online: 1089

Shooter
    35mm

Bronica Action Finder - need info

I saw a Bronica ETR Action Finder for sale that I think I tried once and it was really heavy. However, I've reconsidered using it as I will be planning to use my Bronica ETRS for more "actiony" work (people moving around, capturing events).

Currently I use the non-metered prism and love it. Not only do I get a really nice view of the frame, I'm also able to SEE the microprisms (I have bad eyes so the massive screen is a huge help)!

I'm wondering if there is a major advantage to using the Action Finder? Is it okay for critical focusing? Does it dim the image?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you really need to see the frame with your eye up to 12 cm (4.7") from the eyepiece?!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Action finders can really be considered vital safety equipment along the sidelines of an NFL game, on a carrier flight deck, or anywhere you'd like to keep a heads-up, both eyes open view. They also allow viewing through a helmet visor. But I am somewhat dubious of such action gathering uses for a MF SLR camera that might have a quarter second or longer lag interval from the shutter press to the actual shutter release. (Not exactly sure of the lag for the Bronica ETR mentioned, but that would be typical of most).

For comparison's sake, I just sold a DA-30 Action Finder a couple of weeks ago that I had for my Nikon F5... which camera has a .042 second shutter lag. (And the DA-30 finder has Spot, CW & Matrix metering, F5 camera has 8 fps advance and shutter speeds to 1/8000 etc).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Action Finder for some things, like macro on a tripod (in fact most tripod work), or getting shots of kids running around, where I can watch the scene and the screen at the same time. It is somewhat heavy and is almost the same bulk as the body plus back, so the camera with finder becomes rather top heavy. With the motor that's not too noticeable; with the Speed Grip it's still not bad. Using the crank wind I keep my left hand under the camera to minimize the top-heavy feel.
    To gain the huge eyepoint distance, (which with my glasses is nearly six inches) the image magnification is reduced. You might find it less easy to focus as a result. I would in some ways like it better myself if they had made the eyepoint closer and the magnification greater, but the advantages would have been reduced, too.
    It gives a benefit similar to that which a waist-level finder gives, i.e., you don't have to plaster your eye to the eyepiece. It's a lot easier when doing any tripod work to not have to keep my eye close to the finder, yet verticals are still easy.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-13-2011 at 02:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I gave it some thought and sounds like it really isn't for me, especially the lower magnification! Same with the top-heavy part, since I'm planning on schlepping this camera around a lot. Don't need more weight.

Appreciate the responses! sounds like the pentaprism is for me

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin