Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,815   Online: 864

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Appreciate the headsup. It looks like it's not longer a lens problem and simply the body giving up the ghost (or however you say something ain't tickin' anymore).

The mirror now clicks perfectly but there's no red light and no "leaf shutter" click... which to me sounds like a dead body.

I considered the repair option but I realize that the cost of the repair (especially including shipping) may equal or exceed the cost of buying a new old-body. *sigh*

That being said, are Bronica ETRS' prone to this kind of failure or sticking or whatever? I'm considering now whether to keep with the ETRS system or move on to something else and part out the parts that work.
    It's a nice 645 system and that seems to be the problem. I looked long and hard for an ETRSi in mint/EXC+ shape and never found one. All were nearly-dead with obvious high-rollage after long service. They're out there since friends found them after I went with the late series Mamiya 645.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure what you mean by the leaf shutter in the body. The shutter is in each lense. Try changing teh battery though the light comes on steady, I've found in the past that some batteries will have the voltage but due to age not the current level. The test in the body tests the voltage but, not the current delivery capability. Worse case is that the body needs a cleaning which should not be all that much. The camera is well worth having a CLA on the body; most cameras need one as time goes on.

I agree that many of the ETR series were used by professionals and for the most part the majority around have seen some use but it is no reason to avoid them. The body itself is not a complex piece and even decent replacement bodies can be had for cheap. Having it CLA'd and repaired may equal the cost of a used body but you know this body and that it has been gone through and good for probably the next 25+ years. Buying a used body may require a CLA and repair in the not too distant future, there is no guarentee. Dumping it and the kit and moving into another system from my tracking would not make a lot of economic sense generally unless you also do not like the system.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by the leaf shutter in the body. The shutter is in each lense. Try changing teh battery though the light comes on steady, I've found in the past that some batteries will have the voltage but due to age not the current level. The test in the body tests the voltage but, not the current delivery capability. Worse case is that the body needs a cleaning which should not be all that much. The camera is well worth having a CLA on the body; most cameras need one as time goes on.
    Oh, I'm talking about the contact points on the body that connect with the green dots on the lens itself (which I'm assuming is the leaf shutter mechanism). I went to the store and had the battery tested the battery and it was at 80%. Guess I will just have to try a new battery and see if that fixes things. Funny as I've only had the camera since March of this year and I changed the battery when I got it.

I do like the ETRS and was going to get a waist level finder for it... hmm... I'll have to check those CLA links if the battery does not work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    first thing first, the mirror does NOT engage the shutter cycle, it's the light baffle. simply flip the mirror up lever on an open body (no back attached) and you'll see that the mirror slams all the way up, but the light baffle will stay a bit lowered. once you press the shutter release button, the light baffle swings up and engages the shutter open cycle.

I guess the light baffle might be damaged somewhere and this does prevent the shutter cycle to complete.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the clarification. I guess with the body swinging up I thought it was the thing to engage the shutter cycle.

Actually, I did some fiddling yesterday and noticed that, when I mounted the lens, the mirror would flip but the shutter would not engage. That is... until I wiggle the lens while it's on the lens mount counterclockwise. Suddenly there's a click.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a possibility that the linking pin in the film magazine is pressing too far into the body. That causes the mirror to NOT go all the way upward, which in turn prevents the shutter from opening! I know, because I had a relatively new ETRSi body that would act up with ONE film magazine occasionally -- a USED magazine which I had recently purchased. All my other magazines did not have this same problem. At the time, Tamron was servicing Bronica (after the purchase of Bronica) and they had me send in both the body and the magazine...they adjusted the pin length sticking out of magazine (not the body) and all was well after that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin