Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,431   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bronica ETRS crappin' out - slow mirror?

Hi everyone,

I love my Bronica but I'm hopefully not going to have to put it to retirement after this O_o.

So I was firing away with my Bronica ETRS all day with no problems until about later this evening when I noticed that the mirror was going but the leaf shutter wasn't. I knew this because the red light didn't click on.

I pressed the battery test button and it seemed to work fine (a red light came on). Took a couple more shots and no avail - the mirror was flipping fine but the shutter was not going (didn't hear it click and no red light).

I took off the lens and dry fired at 1/500th of a second to see if anything was up. Well, the mirror goes to about 7/8 of the way and then slows up. I notice also that the lens contacts don't fully "click" into place unless I help it. Then there's the recognizable "click". Ah.

Anyways, I suspect this may be a dead battery but I thought the ETRS had emergency 1/500th shutter speed? If so, shouldn't the mirror be going up and the lens contacts rotating with no problem regardless of battery power?

Shooter
    35mm
    So I went to test out the battery and yup... battery is fine. And the red light goes on so it's not the battery.

It seems the leaf shutter mechanism on the body doesn't fully "click" into place (Even on the 1/500th shutter speed setting). I suspect that something is not working inside it maybe... curious if any suggestions?

Also, I don't think I have a local camera repair depot that will deal with Bronica's. Curious on where's a good place to get a CLA for this camera?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any chance the lens/body contacts are crudded up?

Asking since my almost-new SQ-B faked a stroke last night. Gave the contacts a quick swab with some isopropyl and she came to and started talking again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't think it's my lens contacts as I just realized now that even with the lens off the red light does not come on at all... meaning the leaf shutter mechanism in the body (not the lens) has failed or is jammed or something.

Very strange. It was going pretty good yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A stray thought -- you mention the mirror going up 7/8 of the way -- any possibility there's a foam light seal or foam mirror bumper/damper that's turning to goo? I have an SQ-A and the foam parts in those definitely have problems over time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I remember, KOH's Camera is a recommended Bronica outift in the US. Maybe there is something closer to you.
    http://www.kohscamera.com/

And an ETRSi repair manual is here, which might point you in some direction. I have no idea what the differencens between the ETRS and ETRSi are-
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/bronica...air_manual.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info, Dan Daniel. I will have to take a closer look at it.

DWThomas, the funny thing is that now the mirror goes all the way with no problems. Foam bumpers are a bit thin and gooey. However, the lens contacts (on the body) are now fully rotating and there is no red light or noticeable "click", which usually indicates that it's good... hmm...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had an ETRSi go funny because the aperture blades were sticking on a lens. Do you have another lens to test?

No idea if a round with a lens problem would do something to gum up the body works for a bit.

I also had a problem when I put some new foam in. The new foam was a slight bit denser than the standard foam, and the mirror didn't have enough kick to fully engage the button/lever/whatever that told the camera to move on to the next step in firing.

Well, just ideas. Not certain if they relate to your problems at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    I also had a problem when I put some new foam in. The new foam was a slight bit denser than the standard foam, and the mirror didn't have enough kick to fully engage the button/lever/whatever that told the camera to move on to the next step in firing.
    I have done that to an ETRS too!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Appreciate the headsup. It looks like it's not longer a lens problem and simply the body giving up the ghost (or however you say something ain't tickin' anymore).

The mirror now clicks perfectly but there's no red light and no "leaf shutter" click... which to me sounds like a dead body.

I considered the repair option but I realize that the cost of the repair (especially including shipping) may equal or exceed the cost of buying a new old-body. *sigh*

That being said, are Bronica ETRS' prone to this kind of failure or sticking or whatever? I'm considering now whether to keep with the ETRS system or move on to something else and part out the parts that work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin