Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,716   Online: 1256

Shooter
    Large Format

strange vignetting on Mamiya RZ67

I shoot a Mamiya RZ67, just about the perfect camera for me, but today I had a strange experience. I was shooting in the city and came home to develop the roll. On the last three frames each negative had a perfect circle black (clear on the negative) vignette. I had changed lens at that point. I can't figure out why this would happen....probably something VERY basic I haven't thought of.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Do you have the wrong hood on the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you using filters?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ooops. I did put a lens hood on. It is a generic rubber hood and the lens is a 50mm...pretty wide. I'll bet that is it! I'll try again and see if that is the problem Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah somtimes those hoods can cause trouble on film, but if you use B&W and develop yourself it is no problem.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a dedicated square hood for the 50 and 65mm RZ lenses. Easy to find. I'd recommend finding one on Ebay. Sounds like it was the hood. 50 = 24mm equivalent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Yeah somtimes those hoods can cause trouble on film, but if you use B&W and develop yourself it is no problem.

Jeff
    I don't see how developing your own film would cure the problem. If it's a hood on a wideangle that vignettes, it'll happen regardless of who develops the film. Maybe I'm not understanding you though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The vignetting can be cropped off the print. It doesn't solve the problem, just band aids it. Proper cure is proper hood.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As EdSawyer has stated, your problem was using a round hood instead of a square one. Just one word of caution in buying the second hand Mamiya square hood made for the 50/65 lenses - try to ensure that the rubber has not sagged too much - so many of these hoods suffer from serious bowing, such that the straight edges of the square bow inwards towards the glass. If you use a deep filter, it can be enough on the 50mm lens to cause some minor vignetting. I'm sure there's a technique for curing this tendency in these hoods but I've not been able to find one thats reasonably permanent.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin