Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,359   Online: 764

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using Mamiya RB67 Pro S since I really fell in love with Medium Format system. I only own two cameras (Nikon FM2n & Mamiya RB67 Pro S). Up to date, I am a proud RB67 owner. It never disappointed me. I believe every individual has their own preferences. I don't mind carrying the heavy beast around; climbing the hills, walking at the streets, visiting abandoned buildings, etc. It served me well. Well built body, solid. I have a few 6x7 film backs that I can interchange accordingly; B&W, Color & Infra Red. Price wise, it's not as expensive as Hasselblads. Quality wise, they both show nothing much difference. Here's an example from RB67. Kodak Tri-X 400. Cropped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img208-q.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	38401

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would call that an excellent example

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm looking at this mostly as an opportunity to invest in my photographic future, for when I get older and weaker and silver gets even more expensive.....I do all of my shooting in natural light though, and my eyesight isn't getting any better lol so I don't know how the slow lenses are going to work.
    I never met a Mamiya that I didn't love and the RB67 is no exception. It is, to my mind, the most pragmatic, most versatile medium format system available.

I have to say though...your thinking is faulty. If your eyesight is failing (as mine is), you will find the "tiny" and usually dim ground glass difficult to use effectively (when viewed through the standard wlf). I've actually had to move UP in format to compensate for eyes. I now shoot mainly (rangefinder focused)4x5 and 8x10. Even the 4x5 ground glass is getting difficult - have to use reading glasses.

Also, as you have already correctly recognized, the RB67 is about the same weight as your 4x5 field camera....and, it isn't particularly useful hand held either - yes, it can be hand held but....you're gonna want at least a monopod....what I'm getting at is that is has no real advantage over a 4x5 field camera...for us in the "over 40...pushing 50" crowd.

I'd have to advise you to pass...or buy and resell, or, encourage your friend to sell them here at reasonable prices....I have no hidden agenda. I dumped all of my RB kit years ago and will not be buying anymore - it just doesn't work for me anymore.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Buy it.

I enjoy using my RB. I like the ergonomics of handholding with the left hand bracket and prism finder. Yes, it's heavy, but it makes you feel like more of a man when some other joe schmoe walks past with a Canon rebel and 18-55 with his jaw dragging on the ground.

I use the 50, 90, 150sf and 180 and they are all fantastic. Once I got my focus screen calibrated they were even better. Buy it and don't look back!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I certainly dont think smaller is better for my eyes...But silver is expensive and gets shot less and less in my 8x10 especially and I dont see it coming down again in my lifetime, nor do I see my income going up. Plus the idea of just needing a camera and tripod is attractive-I might actually shoot more, i rarely bring my LF gear on trips anymore. I doubt if I will be TOO impressed when I look into the viewfinder the first time, coming from 8x10 and 4x5. But my eyesight isnt that bad yet-I have pretty normal eyes for my age, eg it aint getting better at 51. I'll have to look and see what I see. Mostly this is a GAS urge that I can succeed at resisting unless he will sell me one of them for say $150...then I doubt if I could pass it up. But ether way I won't be selling my LF gear until I'm incontinent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I won't be selling my LF gear until I'm incontinent.
    I would just wear diapers, and keep the Large Format equipment !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know, for those with only 35mm gear (or maybe even 6x4.5) I see it. I too shoot 4x5 and don't see much appeal in a beast just as big and heavy. I DO love medium format, which for me is a Yashica Mat 124, but that is a small, even tiny compared to the RB, easily hand held camera, and I find I carry and use it where I would have carried and used 35mm before. It replaces a smaller camera as my walk around easily hand held camera. If I have time to use a tripod and really think about what I'm doing, I use my Technika III.

Maybe if I tried one I'd get it. I have really loved the Yashica though and have been eyeing either another one, so I can carry two types of film, maybe a Rollei, or a 6x4.5 system, particularly the Mamiya for the 80mm f/1.9. But I don't yet see the appeal of a medium format camera as big and heavy as my 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cramej View Post
    Yes, it's heavy, but it makes you feel like more of a man when some other joe schmoe walks past with a Canon rebel and 18-55 with his jaw dragging on the ground.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. Nicely put.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Saying one may as well use a view camera because they are the same size is not valid. The RB is totally different in what it does and how it does it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Saying one may as well use a view camera because they are the same size is not valid. The RB is totally different in what it does and how it does it.
    I would understand that if one were talking about a hand holdable MF camera. Ok, the RB can be, but it's awfully big and heavy for it.

And I also understand it for SOME tripod mounted situations, maybe shooting many portraits of a model more rapidly than one could with a view camera.

I guess I don't see what it does that *I* need or want. The OP may or may not need or want something it does better/different than what he has, or both of us might really appreciate it if we found it does something well that we didn't know we wanted or needed.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin