Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,616   Online: 1074

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my eyes, the main problem with hand holding the RB is not it's size and weight. It is a stable camera when used against the chest with the WLF, and it is even OK at eye level. The mirror sounds intimidating, but it is actually very well damped. But you have to use it in pretty strong light to get the shutter speeds you need to hand hold it, and long lenses are pretty much out for this purpose. Focusing it quickly and accurately is also more difficult than with many cameras. It can be challenging to nail focus when shooting wide open.

I do shoot my RZ hand held quite a bit. I use the 110 f/2.8 and 65mm f/4 for this. I have not been that successful with the 210mm lens. (I did not expect to be, but I had to try!)

One good thing about the large frame is that you can use fast films and they won't appear very grainy or soft when you enlarge them. I use T-Max 400, Tri-X, and Fuji NPH more than any other films when shooting my RZ hand held.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Hi Roger,
    The advantages of the RB over a view camera, as I see them.

-Can be held in the hand easily (good for portraits).
    -Can focus rapidly
    -Can shoot rapidly
    -Rollfilm convenience (sure you can use it on view cameras too, but see above).
    -Prism finders can be used
    There are probably other advantages also.

All of the above equate to general convenience and ease for me. The only view camera I use, though, is a bigger monorail so I guess I can't speak for someone using a light field camera.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main advantage is simple; it's an SLR.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my RB67, very verstile camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    400 speed films in 6x7 enlarge great. Hand holding at 1/400 works fine. My RB67 is almost always used hand held with the flash bracket grip and neck strap.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    400 speed films in 6x7 enlarge great. Hand holding at 1/400 works fine. My RB67 is almost always used hand held with the flash bracket grip and neck strap.
    You are more of a man then me, I still use a tripod even at 400 speed film!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Saying one may as well use a view camera because they are the same size is not valid. The RB is totally different in what it does and how it does it.
    A more detailed explanation of what you mean by this could get at the root of my original question. "So tell me why should I want one...what are they good for..."

Oops, I see you already addressed this further down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I repair them and can tell you they are very well made. The lenses are all excelent quality. I'd say this camera was built to last forever with enough adjustment room in the mechanisms to take up the slack for more than a lifetime of heavy use. "Built like Russian tanks" is the saying and justly so.

As with any camera, handeling it with respect and never forcing it if for any reason if it jams is key. Jams are generally user error and repairs are a result of this in an effort it to overcome the jam. If it doesn't fire, stop and think before cranking harder on the lever. You forgot to take the dark slide out, revolving back may not be clicked in, your hand is leaning on the little silver tab oin th e side of the rev back, lens was put on wrong, but they don't drop dead for no reason at all aside from lonelyness. This camera want to be used but treated like a lady.

With prices so low, how can you not get one?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for one, Wayne. I bought a RB67 3 years back, and having more money than sense, I followed that up by buying an RZ67. They are beautiful cameras. Very solid, and if you can find one which has been owned 'privately' rather than by a professional, then it should last you until doomsday. I have used mine 'handheld' but it takes getting used to the image in the viewfinder being the 'wrong' way.When you should move the lens to the left, you tend to go to the right, and vice versa. But having said that, when I have it on a tripod, that conflict does not seem to crop up. Still using various 35mm cameras, but med format is something different. The Mamiyas- RB and RZ were in the region of £1600-2000 when new, for about one fifth of that price now, you cannot go wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    You are more of a man then me, I still use a tripod even at 400 speed film!

Jeff
    Delta 3200 120 is good too
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin