Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,153   Posts: 1,614,110   Online: 851

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey, Wayne. I'm with Matt as far as his set up. The 90 is an amazingly versatile lens. It's what I use (although I intend to pick up a wide-angle and a 180 eventually).

Based on your description of the seller's gear, I'm going to assume his backs are probably Pro-S, but make sure. They're much preferable over the standard backs. I'd like at least one SD back (oh, to never have to worry about light seals...), but I'm happy with my Pro-S backs.

I gather from reading this thread that you're going to be using this handheld at least some of the time, correct? I'd definitely say that you want the waist-level finder. The prism is only going to make it harder to hand-hold (although, with the weight and WLF, mine is my easiest hand-holdable camera in my opinion).

And yes, you're going to want more than one back. Definitely. If he's offering them, take them. Trust me. The more, the better. Matt is correct. Two would be better. But three or four is EVEN better. Trust me. At LEAST get 2 backs.

And to Roger: There's nothing wrong with a camera that can do multiple formats. There are times I'd love to be able to pop a 645 back onto my RB, but I don't have one. Back when I shot 35 mm, I had (I still have actually, but don't use) an original Konica Auto-Reflex (Whom I call Rex). It lets you switch between full and half-frame. I would switch to half-frame for snapshots and shoot full frame when I was shooting something more important. People may not understand the concept of a large SLR (it's NOT a small camera) that can shoot half-frame, but the option of switching whenever is the beauty of it. I certainly wouldn't want to carry around a half-frame camera (despite it's size) in addition to my large, handsome (not sexy to me as Rex is a boy) SLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 on the 90mm and the 180mm. I find the 180mm is my default lens with the RB67, even for landscapes - or maybe that's jusy my reaction to the flat fenlands.

I'd agree that two standard 120 backs is the minimum, the ease of switching between two different films mid-roll on both is a convenience that it's difficult to imagine being without. I suspect I'll eventually build-up to four backs (Ektar, Portra, 400H and a spare). I also recommend the Polaroid back for that instant fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wayne i'd *definitely* get at least 2 backs. There are many times i wish i had another back - 1 for b&w and 1 for color. Maybe a 3rd as a back-up, but i'd not spring for more than that. There are times i *wish* i had a more intermediary focal length (i have a 65mm and 180mm). However, i can't offer a compelling suggestion which is more suitable/'better' of the 90mm or 127mm choices.

I chose a waist-level finder 'cause it's just plain cool! Really though, it's big fun composing images on it - the viewfinder on the RB67 is just huge compared to 35mm and the 'difference' is a treat to say the least. Maybe smaller than on LF, but still wayyyy fun!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sorry for being a party pooper, but I would look at a different camera. It's a great system, and fun to use, but I found the lenses the weak point of the system. I have not tried the KL versions, but the C versions rendered RELATIVELY low contrast and low sharpness negatives. I tried several of the lenses and couldn't find one that I was happy with. I did comparisons with equivalent cameras, and the negatives and equivalent prints were clearly inferior with the RB (with the 50 C and 90 C lenses). I eventually switched to a RF with the Mamiya 6, and the 50mm is a spectacular lens by any standard. I did return to the 6x7 format, but this time with the RZProII and 110mm lens, which is a formidable lens-camera combination that I'm very happy with. If you like the format and the system, I would recommend the RZ instead of the RB (if you can live with the extra electronics)...

Respectfully....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the 90 KL is sharper than the C but my old pre-C 65 and 180 especially seem quite good.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. I can see now the necessity for multiple backs, even more than multiple lenses. And maybe the 90 is a better first choice for me, especially for closeups that I like to do. I may try for multiple backs and one lens at first, just to keep it cheap. While he practicaly gave me the 4x5, I think he thinks that these have retained their value much better than they have. I doubt he would take the $150 I was hoping to offer. I think $250 may be a more fair offer for a body, a back or 2, and a lens. Maybe I'll offer $200 and see if he'll throw in more stuff if I go up to $250. I can pick up more lenses and backs later. Maybe he'll throw in an extra lens for that price.

I think he has Pro-S backs but I'll make sure. He talked about getting rid of his older RB67 stuff that he got when he bought someone out 30 years ago, and it was clear he thought it was inferior.

I do hope to use it handheld. It will probably only be about 10% or less of its use, but I kind of like the waist level finder too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For handheld use, look as well for one of the Mamiya Grips with the built in left hand shutter release trigger. They are also compatible with the Mamiya C330.

Here is a photo of the multi-angle version, courtesy of Graham Patterson's excellent Mamiya TLR resource:

http://grahampatterson.home.comcast..../jpg/lgrip.jpg

I use the non-multi-angle version on both my Mamiya C330 and my RB67.

As for prices, they vary greatly, depending on the source - see the attached Craigslist ad that ran recently in my area:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RB67 craigslist.JPG  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The 645 backs have a couple of advantages:

1) 16 exposures per 120 roll instead of 10, and at least 15 of them all fit in the same Printfile page ; and
    2) 6x4.5 slides, for those of us who don't have a 6x7 projector but do have a 6x4.5/6x6 projector.

They are large and heavy for 645 use, but not as large and heavy as taking two camera systems in order to obtain both formats.
    Projecting the slides is a reason I hadn't thought of. That does make sense.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ha, this redneck doesnt even have high speed internet so he cant watch your redneck review.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin