Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,432   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 646 Pro TL worthwhile upgrade

I currently have a 645 Super, I have the opportunity to purchase a mint 645 Pro TL. What I am wondering is, is it a big enough upgrade to justify the expenditure?
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will be newer. Repair parts may be more easily found.

It will offer TTl flash operation with certain flashes.

For those accessories which are not compatible with both the Super and Pro bodies, it will work with the newer Pro compatible accessories - primarily metering viewfinders.

Possibly most importantly, it will include the mechanical upgrades that were made because of some film wind reliability issues experienced with the older Super bodies. As I understand it, those reliability issues were most often experienced by those using a motor winder on the Super.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unless you want/need TTL flash capability, no. No winder or any other issues with my Super. My only beef with Mamiya winders is the racket they produce--noisy suckers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably not... I went from 645Super to 645Pro. It's newer. It's more updated. I hear internals are made more robust. I didn't find any functional difference in my usage. (before my super went kaput)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Initially I would have said no..............but then my Super took a dump on me (just as Matt said above, I was using a motor winder...)

So I bought a Pro TL and I'm happy with it. How much difference is the price for which you can buy the Pro TL and sell your Super?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After selling the Super, I may be a couple hundred down on the Pro... I'm not totally convinced it's the way to go,, might wait a while for an AFD instead.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    for comparing funtions and compatibility of accessoires you can have a look in my Mamiya data collection (see signature)

PHILIP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say that it would be a worthwhile switch from an M645, for the exchangeable backs. But I wouldn't switch from a Super unless I was using a motor drive all the time. The Pro TL is a bit more robust in that regard.

I've never used in-camera flash metering in my life in a real shooting situation (as opposed to just testing), and I don't see it as an advantage. I don't like in-camera meters even with ambient light, but make flash the light source (especially on-camera flash) and results are even more likely to be less than ideal. (Is that the same thing as being less likely to be ideal? ) YMMV, however.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think it's funny that every time this discussion comes up of "is the TL better than the rest" that no one brings up mirror lock up! I bought the pro TL over the pro and super because of the mirror lock up. With the prices being so low on all these cameras now it makes no sense not to go with the newest one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um.... My PRO has a Mirror UP knob. Is TL different in this regard?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin