Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,509   Online: 874

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sounds like a fun dinner!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just look purposeful and self-absorbed. Beats the Jedi mind trick any day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try shooting an import model with an RZ. most models know nothing about cameras, so the cooler and bigger your camera looks, the more interest you'll get out of models. not just models but women in general always love an old camera. I've brought my hasselblad just to get coffee before!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCave View Post
    Try shooting an import model with an RZ. most models know nothing about cameras, so the cooler and bigger your camera looks, the more interest you'll get out of models. not just models but women in general always love an old camera. I've brought my hasselblad just to get coffee before!
    My girlfriend HATES all my old cameras. I think she's jealous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just do it.
    I'd avoid the dolly, but if you think it's necessary use it.

I'm fairly shy, but showing a camera to a friend over dinner woudn't bother me. No different, really, than showing off your new smart phone/watch/laptop/whatever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nothing to be embarrassed about,
    unless you have to bring the pack-mule inside

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    My girlfriend HATES all my old cameras. I think she's jealous.
    That's sad.

My fiance LOVES my old cameras. It was her interest in art that rekindled my interest in photography, and she nearly flipped (in a good way) when she saw my Technika III. Many of her artistic friends seem to ooh and aaah over it too, as well as my Yashica Mat 124.

Sometimes I get tired of it, but for the most part I enjoy it. I like those who appreciate old cameras and think they're cool. I'm less enthused by those asking bone headed stupid questions. A guy this weekend asked about my Yashica, "so what's the deal with it?" "Huh? What do you mean?" "Why does it have two lenses, and look like that?" "Well it looks like that partly because it has two lenses, and also because things looked cooler back when it was designed. It has two lenses because one forms the image on the film and the other is for viewing..." Another friend I was showing it to really thought the ground glass image was electronically generated. After I explained the viewing lens, mirror and ground glass she thought it was extremely cool.

Just take the camera and bask in the attention.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot with my RZ in public all the time. It sure does get a lot of attention. First people are surprised that film is still being made. Then they think it's a turn-of-the-century kind of camera. Still, it also gets a ton of respect from other photographers. Once in Santa Monica CA a stranger came up to me and wanted to hire me on the spot to take some scenic shots of the ocean for him. His logic was if I were usising such a camera, then I must be good!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do it!

I shoot my RZ handheld in public all the time. It gets plenty of notice and attention. Most people are inquisitive and somewhat impressed, I think. They are definitely appreciative, usually. At an airshow recently, it got tons of notice since I had the 500/6 APO mounted up and was shooting it handheld. That was a heavy rig.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's embarrassing is taking my 8x10 out for a walk in my two-child bike trailer. Neighbour thought we'd had grandkids without telling them.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin