Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,980   Online: 1065

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marcmarc View Post
    Once in Santa Monica CA a stranger came up to me and wanted to hire me on the spot to take some scenic shots of the ocean for him. His logic was if I were usising such a camera, then I must be good!
    When I'm out with The Oldies, people always seem to ask if I am a photographer.
    I usually tell them that, I want to be a photographer, when I grow up ...

Ron

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    What's embarrassing is taking my 8x10 out for a walk in my two-child bike trailer. Neighbour thought we'd had grandkids without telling them.
    Hilarious. You must look a right tool taking it all out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    When I'm out with The Oldies, people always seem to ask if I am a photographer.
    I usually tell them that, I want to be a photographer, when I grow up ...

Ron
    What a bizarre question. "No, I'm a fisherman." Huh?

It's like people asking, "can you still get film for that?" while I'm shooting. I'm tempted to say, "no, I just like pretending."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    One of my photographer friends wants to take a look at my RZ67 because he's crazy about old equipment so I'm going to take it out to a restaurant. It's going to have a few extras attached like a Metz handle mount flash and a winder. Maybe I'll put it all on a dolly. Which is more embarrasing? Having a dolly in a restaurant or having the RZ out in public? Should I call the whole thing off? This is just insane right?
    Somehow I don't think the OP has ever worked as a wedding photographer.

Tell them it is your new portable computer .

Just take it along with a largish bag and most people will understand it is a camera.

It certainly isn't much bigger than a Canon 7D with a flash and expensive zoom lens.

You should be fine as long as it isn't one of those silly places where the tables are so small there is barely room for the plates!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Hilarious. You must look a right tool taking it all out.
    Thank you???
    I've never actually measured or weighed my 8x10 case, but I'm sure when I lug it around I look like someone trying to dispose of a body. (only slightly less embarrassing) It was only after getting my Grover that I realized that Brett Weston was right. This is a camera that was never meant to be taken out of the studio. Now at least I can get my gear out to virtually any place you can cart a pair of three year-old twins.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks All... for an entertaining discussion. To set the record straight, I'm not really embarrassed. I was just trying to provoke some discussion. I do get a little self concious with all of the stares and questions like, "Is that a video camera?" I get too many questions and too much attention as it is, when I walk into that place. ;-)

Responding to one poster about the left hand bracket. I tto, like to keep my handle mount flash on the camera because it's easier to handle even though the Metz flash adds extra weight. Between the strap and handle, it's pretty easy to hand hold. I will admit, I don't need to keep the winder on for this trip but it makes it look more awesome.
    Last edited by EricO; 08-24-2011 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took an Ansco Speedex folder complete with a hnadle mounted Honeywell folding fan flash and a supply of M2 flashbulbs to capture images of pal's 50th birthday party held in a pub a few months ago.

I had people all over the pub talking to me and asking about the camera or telling me their old camera stories.

I took that camera because it was the one I had that was closest to 50 years old.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If I went to a restaurant to take some pictures with a dolly, it could get embarrassing if my wife found out. Anyway, I shoot a Chamonix 4x5. I get lots of questions about it and unwanted attention. Here's what I've done--I attached a small LCD photo frame to the ground glass. People now think it's just a digital camera and ignore it.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was once asked about the 2 lenses on my Roleiflex and simply replied it allowed me to take twice the number of pictures as a camera with only one lens. The lady bought it. As for doing something stupid, I agree so I'd suggest send the system to me and I'll return to you a 3.0 megapixal Pentax. I'll even include a pair of AA batteries for it.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What a bizarre question. "No, I'm a fisherman." Huh?

It's like people asking, "can you still get film for that?" while I'm shooting. I'm tempted to say, "no, I just like pretending."
    Someone once annoyed me so much with the "can you still get film" question that I told them that I buy thin plastic, silver nitrate from the drug store, and jello and make my own film so I was set for quite some time. I made it sound so plausible that they believed me.

As for strange cameras in strange places, I took a Folding Kodak Brownie Autographic to Disney World last year, now that was a fun camera and I got a lot of interesting looks and comments.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin