Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,776   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

HELP !!! Shooting Infrared with Mamiya 7ii

I've never shot infrared film before and I'm barely familiar with my Mamiya 7ii that I purchased about 6 mos. ago.

Anywho - I'm taking a class at the local community college and one of the assignments is to shoot with infrared film. From what I understand, you have to load IR film in a darkroom.

From watching this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVEX9CgWC0o

It looks like you have to align arrows on the film back with an arrow on the camera body. Not sure how you would accomplish that in total darkness.

Anyone out there use Efke IR820 aura 120 film, or any type of IR film?

Shooter
    35mm
    If it were me I would load the film in the darkroom and use my IR goggles to align the marks.

Oh wait...

With 120 you can probably just load it in very dim light.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've loaded 120 IR film in room light and been fine. Your mileage may vary and all that, but it shouldn't be subject to the light piping problem that 35mm IR can show.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I've loaded 120 IR film in room light and been fine. Your mileage may vary and all that, but it shouldn't be subject to the light piping problem that 35mm IR can show.

-NT
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    If it were me I would load the film in the darkroom and use my IR goggles to align the marks.

Oh wait...

With 120 you can probably just load it in very dim light.
    Sounds promising.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't forget Maggie that you need to adjust the focus on the lens when using IR film because IR rays don't focus at the same point as visible light ones, there should be a red dot on the lens to adjust the focus to after you use the rangefinder.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What film are you using?

If you are using most of the currently available offerings, they are really "near infrared" films. They are fine to load and unload in subdued light.

With 120 film for your Mamiya 7ii, you won't have to worry about light piping (a real concern with 35mm).

Make sure you have a light-tight container for transporting the exposed film.

Have fun - the Mamiya 7 series would be superb for IR - as is the Mamiya TLR that I use .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ordered three rolls each of Efke IR820 aura 120 & 35 films from Freestyle, although I'd prefer to shoot the 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot a TON of IR, almost exclusively the Efke IR 820 Aura in 120, and you definitely do NOT need to load it in total darkness. Just shade or indoors is fine - no bright sunlight It's a lot heartier than some people who haven't shot it think. In fact once the back of my Holga cam off mid-roll (surprise) with the IR 820 in it. It was indoors but in a loft with a wall of windows on a sunny day. I expected the whole roll would be ruined, but it wasn't. The frame that I was on was ruined and the frames on either side had a bit of fogging, but that was it. In otherwords exactly how I would have expected any film to react, not just IR.

As long as you're not loading it in bright sunlight you'll be fine. Trust me, I've shot hundreds of rolls of Efke IR 820. You can see some of the results here: www.olwickphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mark for your first-hand personal experience. I received the Efke IR820 Aura on Saturday. I have a #25 Red filter but even though the class syllabus says to use this or a #29 Red, I decided to opt for a Hoya R72.

My plan of action to load my cameras in an upstairs bathroom that's in a hallway after the sun has gone down. There is a small night-light in there but I could probably drape a towel or something over it so that it not blaring.

With 3 rolls of 120 and 3 rolls of 35, I hope to get a couple of decent IR images

BTW - liked your web site.

Dwain

Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    I shoot a TON of IR, almost exclusively the Efke IR 820 Aura in 120, and you definitely do NOT need to load it in total darkness. Just shade or indoors is fine - no bright sunlight It's a lot heartier than some people who haven't shot it think. In fact once the back of my Holga cam off mid-roll (surprise) with the IR 820 in it. It was indoors but in a loft with a wall of windows on a sunny day. I expected the whole roll would be ruined, but it wasn't. The frame that I was on was ruined and the frames on either side had a bit of fogging, but that was it. In otherwords exactly how I would have expected any film to react, not just IR.

As long as you're not loading it in bright sunlight you'll be fine. Trust me, I've shot hundreds of rolls of Efke IR 820. You can see some of the results here: www.olwickphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dwain,

I use an R72 filter on mine and it works great.

BTW, I still think you're being too cautious with the film. I've changed rolls in the middle of sunny Monument Valley just using my shadow or the shady inside of the truck, but it's up to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin