Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,878   Online: 895

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the longer distance work one usually encounters with landscape work, depth of field considerations are usually much less important than with closer work.

To give you some numbers to consider, the following is a comparison between two "standard" lenses shot at f/11 - a 50mm lens used with 135 film, and a 75mm lens used with 120 film in a 6x4.5 format camera.

For the 135 film camera, the circle of confusion used is 0.03mm. For the 6x4.5 camera, the circle of confusion used is 0.045mm.

For the 135 film camera: 50mm lens focussed at 25 feet - depth of field ranges between infinity at the farthest and 12.3 feet at the nearest.

For the 6x4.5 film camera: 75mm lens focussed at 35 feet - depth of field ranges between infinity at the farthest and 18 feet at the nearest.

If you focus the 75mm lens at 30 feet, depth of field ranges between 167 feet at the farthest and 16.5 feet at the nearest.

When you work closer, the depth of field comparison is more pronounced.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the view camera is best for landscapes, since it lets you do things like control the position of the horizon and keep straight lines straight.

My wife grew up in Hawai'i, so we go fairly regularly to visit the family.

For Hawai'i, I think it's important to have a camera that stands up to the wind, so even though I prefer shooting landscapes on 8x10", I discovered that at least my ultralight 8x10" Gowland turns into a box kite in many of the shooting situations one encounters in Hawai'i, so I've usually brought my 4x5" Linhof, at least until we had a child, and then I started using a 2x3" Linhof, which has most of the same movements as the 4x5" but the whole kit is half the bulk of a 4x5" kit. I'll go back to 4x5" when he's big enough to carry the tripod.

I've also been to Hawai'i with my Bronica S2a, and that worked well enough, but in an island landscape, there tend to be a lot of horizontal compositions, so rectangular formats work nicely. I think next time, I may bring the Noblex. I was seeing a lot of panoramics on my last trip.

If you decide to go 35mm in Hawai'i, bring a long lens for surfers and birds. Otherwise, I think a larger format makes more sense.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    Thanks Gene. It sounds like you are probably stronger than me, but that I should be able to manage. I too have a small brace on on knee for arthritis. (getting older ain't as much fun as I thought it would be). Do you have both the 670 and 690 so that you can have different film in each?
    I have the same film type in each camera: the GW670 II has a "normal" 90mm lens where the GSW 690 III has the wide angle 65mm lens. So I carry both to give me at least two lens options. And the GSW690 with the wide angle & 6x9cm format gives me a slightly more panoramic format which I like.

I hope this gives you a little more insight.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I will be bringing either my Nikon D3 or D300 with a 300mm f/4 as well as a MF camera. Matt, thanks for the DOF comparisons. I will be shooting landscapes that will be somewhat off in the distance, and so the MF camera should work fine.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Graham,

I find that as I scale up the film size, I can use faster film because the same size print needs less enlargement. So I use smaller f/stops than I would use for 35mm. This sort of cancels out the depth-of-field loss at longer focal length.

Bigger film makes better landscapes in my opinion, as gene has shown MF delivers fine landscapes.

Grab a tripod light enough that you will use it. There's nothing so unnerving as getting home from a trip, going over the shots of that beatiful valley where you were so excited you couldn't stop shooting long enough to setup a tripod... Then find each shot is a little soft and doesn't give you the clarity of the vision you held in mind.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now that everyone has commented on why medium format is an excellent choice for landscape, let me tell you what the best landscape camera in this format is.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...gx680iii.shtml

That is, if you're willing to haul its massive weight around.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    its not the box, but the eyes behind it

nice pix gene !

- john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    its not the box, but the eyes behind it

nice pix gene !

- john
    +1 on those comments. Wow, that 680 weighs about 10 lbs (about 4.5kg?). My wife's not going to be happy lugging around the extra weight!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take your 645 and don't be concerned with what other people and their opinions. The only thing that matters is what you see and feel about your camera. To thatend, shoot the dickens out of your MF and leave the dig at home.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for your comments Rick. I guess the next question would be which film to use. I am going to start doing some research in that area. My inclination would be some fairly slow film (no faster than 160) and good use of my carbon fiber tripod. I am going to take a mix of B&W and Color. I have quite a bit of Fujicolor 160 on 220 rolls, plus several rolls of Kodak 400BW on 120 rolls (a little faster than I would like but still good).

Maybe some folks could give me some film advice hear without me starting a new thread. One big question is whether to use my expired film or buy new to be on the safe side. I keep all my film refrigerated, not frozen, and the expiry dates are in the 2003 to 2008 range. So far, I have not had any problems with these films.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin