Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,147   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most landscape photographers use the largest camera they can carry (in the words of Ansel Adams). I think he knew what he was talking about. Limited depth of field has never been a problem for me with medium format (although occasionally large format).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Martin View Post
    Thanks for your comments Rick. I guess the next question would be which film to use. I am going to start doing some research in that area. My inclination would be some fairly slow film (no faster than 160) and good use of my carbon fiber tripod. I am going to take a mix of B&W and Color. I have quite a bit of Fujicolor 160 on 220 rolls, plus several rolls of Kodak 400BW on 120 rolls (a little faster than I would like but still good).

Maybe some folks could give me some film advice hear without me starting a new thread. One big question is whether to use my expired film or buy new to be on the safe side. I keep all my film refrigerated, not frozen, and the expiry dates are in the 2003 to 2008 range. So far, I have not had any problems with these films.

The film you have on hand sounds good to me, especially if that's what you are comfortable shooting. Of course, you know you are about to get bombarded with everybody elses favorite film selection. When it comes to color film, I tend to shoot whatever is on sale for cheap(mostly Fuji) and I have a ton of Shanghai 120 B&W, Acros and Arista EDU Ultra. For color print film, I tend to overexpose slightly, and chromes I shoot box speed and trust my meter.

Have a grand time, and show off the results upon return.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    However, I have since found a number of comments on various websites that Medium Format is less suited to landscapes due to its reduced depth of field.
    If that was true, landscape photographers would be using Minox miniature cameras for the huge depth of field recorded on their 8mm x 11mm negatives rather than the medium and large format cameras which they seem to prefer.

As you wanted a light, good quality travel camera, I think you made a good choice.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the end use of the images should dictate the camera to a certain extent. If all your going to do is share digital files then 35mm will work. If all your going to do is print note cards, 5x7's and 8x10's (maybe 11x14's) then a 645 will be fine. Once you get into the 16x20's then for sales I would upgrade to a 6x7 for better detail, but then the kit size increases and can fast become a load especially on longer hikes. David's recommendation above for a LF camera has justification for those that desire the best possible results (good lenses) at a pace that does not necessarily matter, per se'. The large format starts to become art for many.

The Zi will probably be a light capable camera for your desire to record events on the vacation. The fun is experiencing the time there. The photographic results are the remembrance of the fact, unless you are a seeking sales. Then the choice becomes equipment that will get that job done.
    In film I prefer E6 for development costs and for scanning and color neg for wider latitude. I just shot a 120 roll of Acros 100 and developed it in Ilfosol 3 for grain-less results in 6x9, and I like Provia for cost. If your shooting filters take into consideration a film speed high enough to stop action. Nothing worse then blurry pictures while trying to get maximum dof at smaller apertures in winds and with overcast/shade.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Medium format with a 50mm lens stopped down works just fine for landscapes and so do longer lenses. It depends on the composition and where you are located in relation to it. I do use 4x5 as well but it is not as convenient to travel with. A tripod and cable release help especially when stopping down requires longer exposure times. Weight should not be a problem if carrying the equipment in a good backpack.

I've got eleven more years than papagene (just came back from a two hour workout at the gym) and manage two Hasselblads, three lenses, a meter, some filters and plenty of film and rain gear in my Tamrac backpack plus a carbon-fiber tripod.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make you own decisions about what you want your images to look like. Applying other people's ideas of what a landscape or a portrait should look like on a technical level is the worst thing you can do, IMHO. You aren't taking their photos, you are taking your own. So, just have at it, and you will do fine.

And, no, I don't agree. I think medium format is a great format for landscapes, because of it's quality, versatility, and speed of use, not to mention all the great systems that are out there.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Medium Format is a great format for landsacpe photography, so is halfframe if used correctly. It's the vision of the guy gal behind the camera that counts and not the Filmsize . Take the camera you know and that you're comfortable with. Knowing your equipment and knowing what you can do with it (limitations) is the best way to get good photographs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One big question is whether to use my expired film or buy new to be on the safe side.
    I would only use expired Panatomic-X or similar slow, otherwise unobtainable black and white film. For 400 speed black and white, or for any color, I would use fresh.

I have taken family road trips with only 120 6x9 folders and the expired film performed as expected, but the fresh film that I picked up along the way gave me some shots that made me appreciate that everything was right... The place, time, camera and film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    2 years ago I trekked for 4 weeks in Ladakh, India, with a Fuji GW670 and a small tripod, up to hights of about 5,600 meters. These are some of the results:
    http://frankbunnik.zenfolio.com/p509...0c01#h38640c01

http://frankbunnik.zenfolio.com/p509...0c01#h1e3e3977

http://frankbunnik.zenfolio.com/p509...640c01#h1a0b97

http://frankbunnik.zenfolio.com/p509...3ca7#h18703ca7

The detail in the prints is incredible. I am glad I took a medium format camera with me. To be honest, I would not want to shoot landscapes on 35mm. The detail you capture with medium format or large format is incredible.

www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Frank, beautiful images. The GW670 is another camera that I have been considering. My only nitpick with the Zi is that one has to use some of the dials for more than one function. Until I get them all memorised I will need to carry the manual with me. However, compared to a DSLR, the dial combinations are pretty easy to get used to. The GW670 appears to have single purpose uses such as shutter speed, aperture etc. I am going to order one from KEH this week so that I will have both cameras to work with over their 2 week trial period.
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin